Hibiscus not blooming! Help!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by lesliesmallwood, Jul 18, 2006.

1. lesliesmallwood

lesliesmallwood New Seed

I have 4 Hibiscus plants and none of them are blooming! They haven't bloomed for two seasons now! They were all proficient bloomers prior to LAST summer, when I went through a nasty divorce. (I often wonder if they didn't bloom because of the tourmoil around them even though they were outside the house!). I cut them back early this year, I have re-potted and re-soiled them all and have been giving them a blooming food. They look very health with bright green leaves... very good shape but NO BLOOMS! ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

2. Loading...

3. Hank

Hank Seedling

Welcome!

Hibiscus need acidic soil. Have you tried supplementing with Mir-Acid plant feed?

4. lesliesmallwood

lesliesmallwood New Seed

No, I haven't done that. Is Mir-Acid plant feed a brand name or a type? Would most garden centers have this?

5. Hank

Hank Seedling

MirAcid is the acidic form of miracle gro. Looky here.

It's great for many plants. Read the reviews. I bring my hibiscus in for the winter and just leave it go dormant. In the spring it seems to perk up and I increase the water and sunlight it gets and I start with the miracid at the beginning of May and feed it every two weeks. Keep in mind mine don't go outside until June - Wisconsin summers are short. It's covered in blooms now.

If you have the giant dinner-plate hibiscus, they need that acid, too. As do Rhododendron and azaleas.

Advertisement
  6. lesliesmallwood

lesliesmallwood New Seed

I'm in Texas and water these guys year-round. I'll certainly try the Mir-Acid, thanks!

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Leslie, I have two hardy hibiscus out back that are about 6 years old. They are growing in black clay and thriving here in Carrollton, what part of Texas are you in?
    Some sites I have found mentioned needing acidic soil but mentioned that they will adapt to just about any soil.
    Full sun, with possibly some afternoon shade in the hottest part of the summer. Mine are in full sun for almost 12 hours and have had no problems.

Also, one site I found said that hardy hibiscus is really not suited for pots and since they will come back every year they really do not have to be protected in the winter. It also said that the tropical hibiscus usually only lasts healthily 4-5 years in a pot. I have never bothered with the tropical, I prefer plants that will grow in the weather conditions found in my yard...makes for a lot less work and worry. In non-drought years that is all bets are off on the worry part tho.:'(

And yes, as weird as it may seem to some, plants do suffer or thrive depending on the atmosphere around them. If their home is filled with turmoil, anger and sadness then they will suffer too.

8. lesliesmallwood

lesliesmallwood New Seed

I am in Austin and only one of the plants is a tropical as I know them to be (dark, glossy leaves). They all get lots of sunlight - but not too much. These guys aren't even producing buds for blooms - just new leaves! I'm completely dumbfounded as to why they still aren't blooming!!

9. lesliesmallwood

lesliesmallwood New Seed

Has anyone tried coffee grounds to add acidity to their Hibiscus or any other acid-loving blooming plants?

10. Hank

Hank Seedling

I've never done it, but my neighbor does around her hydrangea. She also adds egg shells to the soil by her clematis. Dunno why, but she's got the nicest ones around.

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Leslie I had 3 hibiscus this year .I live about 3 hours from you in Madisonville .I have one thats been blooming up a storm for 3 years and is blooming now .Its plant in partial shade .I bought another one this year and it bloomed early and oh so big blooms .I planted it in full sun .It started dying little by little .I shaded it and all but it is dead.I have a small orange bloom one and its blooming .Its in partial shade .I had 4 plants last year and only 1 came back.Mine are planted in sandy loam and compost. I just don't have complete
    good luck with them.It is one of my favorite plants .