Hibiscus seed question

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Kay, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I have a pretty Hardy Hibiscus and have gathered a few seed pods from it. I have also gathered some from a Hibiscus we have at our shop/office. I would like to share them with a co-worker who is a novice gardener.
    I remember way back when, a friend gave me some seeds which I planted a grew my first Hibiscus.
    My question is... Do you save them over winter and plant them in the spring? I think that is when I was given my first seeds, but the memory is kind of dim.
    What is a good way to store them?

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I save mine in the refrigerator over the winter. When you get ready to start them indoors, give them a little nick... or soak overnight... that helps speed up the germination. Otherwise, they tend to take a while.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I go with Cheryl. My one and only experience was 4 planted, one died and three came up, only one of which actually made it into the ground.

5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Cheryl, Sjoerd - Thanks! I figured it only makes common sense that I planted in the spring.
    I will save them for next year.
    I was amazed at the luck I had with those first seeds. My friend told me to plant 8 seeds in a 14 to 16 inch diameter container. Low and behold, I had a beauty that year. I overwintered the container in the garage that year, not knowing what would happen, and they grew back so I planted them in the ground. I enjoyed that plant so long ago, in a garden from the past *sigh*

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Endearing words, Kay.