Hibiscus Syriscus (Rose of Sharon)

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by chris1948, May 5, 2016.

1. chris1948

chris1948 Seedling

Not so much a request for an ID as it is to straighten out my confusion between what I have in my plant notebook and what is shown in the plants database here. I have three different varieties of these, Hibiscus Syriscus L. Aphrodite; Hibiscus Syriscus L. Helene and Hibiscus Syriscus L. Minerva. Though they're not blooming yet going by the colors written on the seed packets sent me I've determined they're the above cultivars. So which is the correct cultivar name, what I have in my notebook that was printed off of a website or what's in the database?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You may be the first of our members to plant those particular cultivars, meaning no one else has suggested them to be added to our database. Almost all plant Genus species have dozens of cultivars so the ones we have in our database are not the only ones out there.

The first word in the plant name is the Genus, the second word (with a lower case first letter) is the species.....if it is a cultivar, then that is written in single quotes 'Cultivar name'. When searching for a plant you can leave off the L. that is the first letter of the last name of the Swedish botanist Carl Linnaeus who devised system for naming, ranking and classifying plants.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  4. chris1948

chris1948 Seedling

5. toni

Are they definitely cultivars? The Hibiscus syriacus comes in about 4 colors, pink, a dark pink that is almost purple and white to begin with and then there are cultivars from those.
    You might contact the place you bought the seeds from to see if they are cultivars and what the names are.

Advertisement
  6. chris1948

chris1948 Seedling

Toni, I got the seeds in a seed trade. They're marked White Hibiscus, Pink Hibiscus and Purple Hibiscus. This is what the seed looks like. If you need me to I can post photos of the actual plants I have growing from these.
    DSC05541.jpg

7. toni

I have a feeling that they are not cultivars since those are the colors of Hibiscus syriacus.

8. chris1948

chris1948 Seedling

9. toni

Good link, that other one didn't work for me yesterday.
    Until they bloom and you have determined definitely (you probably should contact the person you got the seeds from to see if they have more identifying information) I would call them Hibiscus syriacus.

And for me, without a grown plant and blooms I would definitely wait until I had proof of their ID before putting them into the 'My Garden' section.

10. chris1948

chris1948 Seedling

I can't remember who I got them from :( and good idea to not put them into 'My Garden' until I know what they are. Thanks Toni