Hollyhocks haven't flowered this year, help

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Karina Barton, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Karina Barton

Karina Barton New Seed

I am new to this community and probably writing this in entirely the wrong place!!

My hollyhocks haven't flowered this year, although they look healthy, plenty of leaves and no fungus. They are a mixture of the old perennial French ones and others that I have either grown from seed or bought. Usually they all flower with different levels of success. I'm not sure they terribly like it where they are, but I have nowhere else for them and I love them. In my last house they grew like weeds and sowed themselves. I have had them there for several years, so I don't think they are biennial. Would hugely welcome any ideas.;)

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Karina, what part of the world do you live in and where in your yard did you plant them. More information will help us help you figure this out.

I am in hot and dry north Texas and Hollyhocks really do not like growing down here. I know some people have had good luck with them here but I just don't have the right growing conditions for them at all.

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I believe they are biennial and grow like crazy the first year and bloom the second

carolyn likes this.
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Oh wow Stratsmom I learned something new about Hollyhocks. That would account for them not blooming.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I always assumed they were constant bloomers but now I realize that the ones growing and flourishing in mom & Grandma's yards had been there for years so there were multiple generations at work. Thats why they always seemed to be in bloom. (at least that is my theory) :p

7. kate

kate In Flower

I was going to ask the question Stratsmom mentioned could be the reason.
    I am growing Scabious its a good black and looks like someone threw white bits on the flower head.

Scabious, black knight variety. Hardy annual. Pin cushion border flowers in a sumptuous dark maroon from the World Botanics range. Sow between March and May for flowers between June and October. Plant height 90cm. Planting distance 25cm. Average content 35 seeds.Caution: Seeds should not be eaten. Store out of reach of children and pets. Always read the label and follow the instructions..

I got two plants from a pkt of seed, plenty seeds yet I was testing to see if they germinated. They are still small plants but they will flower next year then die. I hope to save the seed because some seeds have the short shelf life.
    K

stratsmom likes this.