Homemade insecticide

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by poyda, Jun 21, 2006.

1. poyda

poyda New Seed

In Australia we have "Harlequin Bugs" I don't know if you get these anywhere else but they breed by the hundreds and eat the same way. It is not uncommon to have around 100 of these buggers on 1 tomato; I make up my own insecticide to kill any type of pest.

Heat up approx 2 liters of water with 8 heads of Garlic (cut so all cloves have been cut in half) and 10 - 15 of the hottest chilli's you can get. Once it starts to boil turn it down to simmer, give it approx 15 min then let it cool.

Add a liquid soap but be sure to use soft soap based on potassium rather than ordinary soap based on sodium, a substance you don't want to add to your soil. Strain it to take out the pieces then dilute 10:1.

It works 100% on the "Harlequin Bugs", within seconds they are dead. This will work on any bug and is safe to spray on all fruit and veggie plants.

:-D

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Fantastic recipe for bug killer Poyda and one I can use in my organic garden!!! Thank you for posting it. :-D

Harlequin ladybirds have started to find their way into parts of Britain. :( I keep a close eye out for any in my garden as they destroy our helpful ladybirds.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Oh we like organic solutions here :D Thanks so much for this Poyda. How did you stumble upon this insecticide recipe? Does it work on most/all insects?

5. jim001

jim001 New Seed

Do you think you could spray your lawn with it for gnats.

Advertisement
  6. poyda

poyda New Seed

It will work on most pests Gardenstew but a warning "Don't use it in windy conditions" or you might be the one running for cover (Heee Hee).

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I'll take your advice poyda ;)

8. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Thanks for the recipe I am in Louisiana and we have a lot of trouble with insects. I hate using chemicals but out of self defense have to. This will be a great alternative, :-D :-D :-D

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Thanks for the recipe.We have harlequin bugs here .I haven't seen any this year yet but last year they were really bad .I wonder if it will kill Squash bugs.I have them by the thousand here when its so hot.Seven dust didn't even slow them down.

10. SgtBaldy

SgtBaldy New Seed

With organic soaps and oils make sure you cover the plant well. Gotta hit underside of leaves also.

I like the hot pepper additive. I gotta try that.

11. LaurensMG

LaurensMG New Seed

I have used a similar formula but never added anything but dishwasher detergent. My friend uses 1 tbsp of detergent for every half gallon of water (possibly more concentrated but I can't remember exactly.) He never uses any chemical control for pests and takes care of an entire botanical garden at the university he works for that way. Just make sure if you use this formula on veggies then wash them off thoroughly, don't want anyone getting sick from it.