Hosta question,,,Anyone know if the bulbs produce babies?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by mart, May 20, 2015.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

That may sound weird but Yesterday since the ground was so moist I decided to pick up night crawlers for fish bait. Was scratching in an area where I had a hosta a while back and thought it died. What I found was a cluster of bulbs and underneath that hundreds of tiny bulblets about 3/8 of an inch long. And I do mean hundreds. Is this common to hostas. Will they grow? I picked up a bunch but there are many left in the ground. How long would they take to mature ?

2. Loading...

3. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Hostas do not grow from bulbs. But yes, if it flowered then it could have seeded itself around.
    Picture of the bulbs might help.

4. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Hostas form a tight clump of individuals that can look bulb-like. But, by now in TX, they would have recognizable Hosta leaves if firm & alive. I think they are something else also... If you're able to add a pic of the area (if any have foliage coming from them right now) & of one of these bulbs, somebody should recognize it.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've never seen bulbs on Hosta's, and I have dug a LOT of Hosta's through the years! A photo may be helpful in identifying them.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Cant do a photo till I figure out this hard drive. There were no other plants there and these are not like anything in my yard. Were no leaves and I thought the hosta had died two or three years ago. Maybe I will just plant them and see what comes up.

purpleinopp likes this.
  7. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Hopefully that will help solve the mystery!