Hosta Surprises

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, May 28, 2015.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I got really cheap hostas the last two years from local plant sale. Some were NOID. They all looked the same when I got them, but not any more. They are not just different colors but different sizes. Luckily the smaller one was planted to the front. Serendipity strikes again.
    image.jpg

The other surprise were two mini hostas that looked the same and I thought they might be mislabeled. Good thing I went ahead and labeled them separately. After one year they are definitely different sizes, leaf structure and colors. Here is Hi Ho silver and the smaller yellow hosta Bitsy's Gold image.jpg

image.jpg
    I am watching other hostas mature and waiting to see the true sizes and colors they will become. Leaf structure, color, gloss or matte finish and plant shape don't seem to be the same on young plants as more mature plants. Fun to see what happens. Kind of like buying new plants all over again.

Frank, 2ofus and eileen like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Droopy
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Droopy
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm so pleased that your hostas didn't all turn out to be the same. I love the colours and textures you have especially the ones in your first photograph.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Lovely! I have been noticing the Hosta's in my yard too ... some are doing so well and needing dividing, and others are staying smaller than I expected. 'Empress Wu' is still on my disappointment list, as it is not becoming what it should. I am so glad that all your surprises are good ones :)

5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Very pretty and a nice surprise for you to have them different in colors and size. I have a few miniature hostas and I love them...I don't have enough shade in my yard for the larger ones so I plant the miniatures so they get shade from other plants as they grow.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Eileen, I was so pleasantly surprised to see that first bed. Guess you just never know.

Netty, so sorry your Empress Wu hasn't grown to its full demensions. Wonder if it reverted in some way? The way my sum and substance has grown I can only imagine the size you were hoping for.

Sherry, the minis are fun! I can't imagine trying to grow them out in the yard. One tiny slug just about destroyed my Pandora's Box when I wasn't watching. (It's up on the table now) I can see how the minis would be great ground cover under larger shrubs and perennials. Love the idea.

7. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Hostas are one of my favs. Glad you posted your pix.

8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Beautiful Hosta's! I wish we had plant sales in our town but no such luck. It's been so cold and rainy here that most of my host's are just starting to come up.

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Oh I am jealous:D Lucky you to get some minis in the mix! I am so completely in love with hostas that I just can't get enough! I am fascinated by the minis, I have 3 left, can't remember their names right now but must run check on them...
    I went to a local Master Gardener's plant sale this morning and came home with Rocket snap dragons, pink babys breath and 6 cleomes. The most I paid was $3!! Didn't see any hostas:worried: I did order Honey Bells & Cathedral windows off of ebay from a neat guy named Mike. He told me they are some of the most sun tolerant, I sure hope he knows what he's talking about:fingerscrossed:

10. Jewell

Good score on finding the minis. Hostas are getting cheaper and easier to find, but the minis seem more elusive. I love the selection you were able to get at the sale