Hot Summer, Cold Winter, I Still want a pretty tree!

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Magatron, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Magatron

Magatron New Seed

Hey everyone!!

I am currently researching trees to plant in my backyard. I want something hardy, beautiful, smells pretty, and flowers. I'd like it to grow and get big! I guess big means at least 12 feet tall? I'm not sure but I definitely want it bigger than me ha-ha.

What do you guys like? I live in Minnesota, I don't want it to die, but I don't want to worry about bringing it indoors. ALL opinions are so appreciated!!!!!!!!

You guys are awesome.

2. Loading...

3. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

I used to live in Minnesota and I had a great. Crab apple tree.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There are quite a few trees native to Minnesota that you might like to think about Magatron that are attractive.

Buckeye
    Cherry
    Lilac
    Magnolia
    Pagoda

There's bound to be more too.

Maybe if you visited a local garden centre or nursery they could advise you on the best tree for your garden.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My first thought was a Lilac. They are hardy and beautiful, as well as smelling fabulous while in bloom. Hummingbirds love them!

Advertisement
  6. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

I'm probably going to second a lilac or a crab apple. Minn runs up almost to the tundra, so depending where you is, hearty is something you may need.

7. aseedisapromise

aseedisapromise New Seed

8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Just a thought. Some of my favourite small to medium sized trees are the Amelanchier family. Deciduous, very hardy here in UK, sort of 15-2o ft tall in time but can be pruned if needed. White flower sprays in spring as the new copper ( turning to green) coloured leaves appear, blue berries which the Blackbirds here love and then wonderful scarlet orange yellow autumn foliage - several to choose from - flowers not scented. Others are the Rowans and the Crabs as mentioned one of which I have is different to the norm in that it has greyish foliage and a fastigiate habit of growth. Theres many lovely small trees to choose from so have a good look.

9. Lils

Lils New Seed

I also agree with the crab apple suggestion, they they have a pleasant bloom. It also fun to watch the squirrels get drunk from the fermenting fruit!

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Magatron, do you know what is your hardiness zone? Most plants are rated by hardiness, so you can determine if a particular tree will make it in your area. Here is an interactive hardiness zone map put out by the USDA: http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

You just punch in your state & it'll come up with a state map. Looks like MN is 5a-3a or so. If you look at it, you can figure out what your particular zone will be. In MN, you want to make sure you buy trees hardy for your area.

11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0012.JPG Hi. Just for interest - I mentioned Amelanchiers of which I have two young ones in the garden - heres a pic 0f the youngest just coming into flower - the flowers come with the newly forming leaves - just training this - it is in the front area. Cannot say ref hardiness in U.S.mind though rated hardy here. Last pic is 0f a prized (by me) Viburnum tomentosum plicatum in new foliage.

12. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

13. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

IMGP0167.JPG A better pic of another young Amelanchier I am shaping up as a standard - cannot be seen in pic but the new reddish foliage is appearing with the blossoms.

14. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Nice amelanchier Syd. An amelanchier is that same tree as a shadbush, isn't it?

15. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi CM. Long time no see - have missed our little natters.
    Amelanchiers are lovely trees and have names over and above their botanical ones. I have a young one of Lamarkii and also Grandiflora Ballerina both of which were bought as "maidens" and I am shaping them up to standards myself. Using popular names I knew them as Juneberries or Serviceberries but they are also known as shadblow or shadbush as you said. A very nice all round tree I think and I have grown them for many years without any snags. Best wishes. Syd.