Hot!!!!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by carolyn, Sep 8, 2016.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Another 90f (32.22c) day here... In September? I can not believe how hot for how long this year. I see a cool down coming but I really hope it doesn't go from blazing hot to freezing cold. I really hope it doesn't frost until late October for a change. Just so hot it is hard to get anything done outside.

stratsmom and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I wish I had your temperatures and that they ended before Sept. The temps now are only in the mid-90's but the humidity level is so high it still feels like 100-107. Got a respite of 89 coming on Saturday then back into the low 90's. My gardens haven't seen me since early June.

4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

We hit Fall in August this year. Geese been flocking for a few weeks now, leaves turning yellow, cold at night. We've really been short changed this year as usually the weather stays quite warm and hot through September.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest. Where in the world are you Carolyn?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. kate

kate In Flower

19C here, 20C tomorrow.

K

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We are in Ohio... Just south of Lake Erie by about 40 miles. In Ohio... I don't think it has ever been this consistently warm all Summer long... That is why we LOVE Ohio weather. 4 Seasons. I don't think I would EVER move as far south as Texas... uh no! Too hot, maybe as a Winter resident, but not from April to November.. the weather is too nice here for that.

Today we are putting in another water line and setting 2 frost hydrants in the back yard, I am just dripping with sweat. it is oppressively humid out there. One for the garden (raspberries) and one for the chickens so I don't have hoses strung across the grass all Summer long... pick em up every time we mow and put them back out the next morning to water with...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@carolyn - Used to swim in Lake Erie as a young child. Quite remember the humidity (UGH) and "yes" when you say hot it is HOT! ;) ;)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I had hoped to mow the back yard today, but although the temps were in the high 80's, the humidity beat me down! Perhaps I'll mow on Sunday when the humidity is supposed to be lower. I don't mind perspiring (my Aunt Tula taught us that horses sweat, ladies "glow" and men perspire but Aunt Tula had never experienced Texas humidity!) but I sure hate gasping for breath!
    Went into town today and dropped off a plate of peanut butter cookies to the guys at the feed store. They make sure the bags of feed are right up against the truck tailgate so I don't have to climb into the bed to drag bags, and they have even offered to stop by the farm and unload for me.
    Tomorrow is house cleaning day. Yuck . . . .

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yay! the line is finished and working... no more hoses strung out. Thank you dear!

10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Pretty warm here as well,..Tuesday it was 34C-93F thankfully down in the 70's yesterday,..so i could get stuck into garden chores.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We got rain this evening. YAY! off and on for a few hours. Nice enough that it didn't just run right off. the soybean fields were drooping! I am so glad for the farmers. We really were dry. dry dry dry! and did I mention hot? whew whee! The thermometer is reading 121 in the one greenhouse for the high temp. thankfully it is reading 76 for the actual moment temperature.

Philip Nulty and marlingardener like this.
  12. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

It's not too bad here. The days are near 70 degrees (22C) but the nights are hovering just above or below freezing.

Philip Nulty and toni like this.
  13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

ewwww!

2ofus likes this.
  14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

2ofus, we are waiting for out nighttime temperatures to match your daytime temperatures! I still have to turn on the hens' coops fans around noon, and trying to do any gardening or mowing in the afternoon is an experience to be avoided.
    There is relief in sight--the prediction for the weekend is daytime in the 80's, so maybe I can get some of that weeding and pruning done.

15. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Just think though, you'll still be wearing short sleeved shirts and shorts when we are pulling out our winter coats! :(;) What frustrates me is that we generally get a real cold snap for a couple of weeks (down in the teens, or lower) that kills everything and then we get a few weeks of Indian summer. :smt013

stratsmom likes this.
  16. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I wear shorts and t-shirts year round when gardening. I tried wearing long pants and long sleeve shirts but I heat up too quickly and have to change so I start out a little chilly but warm up very quickly.