Household tips for easier living

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by carolyn, Jun 10, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Great idea KK... and nice reuse of that old rack. It looks PERFECT in the kitchen.

2. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

It all sounds like very good ideas to me. Will have to write some of them down. My motto is; work smarter not harder ;)

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Great re-recycle KK. Glad to see something reused instead of thrown away.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well done...and I liked that dust trap. I usually have to hold a running vacuum cleaner under the hole as I drill it. hahaha. This is much more clever.

Advertisement
  5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Cherylad, it would be such a waste if the idea of putting it in the kitchen did not pop up!

Great motto Tooty2shoes :)

Thanks Carolyn.

:D I used to do that too Sojerd until I got lazy getting the vacuum out!

6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

While you're sitting out in the garden... enjoying all the beautiful work you've done...in your favorite metal lawn chair... ever get tired of your arm getting all hot and sweaty when using the arm rest?
    Try this very cheap and easy remedy. Salvage some old wash cloths and get some velcro. I had some that had the sticky backing already, but added a few quick stitches just to make sure it didn't come off in the wash.

[​IMG]
    velcro ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

and... viola! Sweat bands for your arm rest!

[​IMG]
    arm rest sweat bands ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I'll have to buy some that'll match the cushions one day. But in the meantime.. works for me!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well isn't that just the cleverest thing ever. Those would be nice to cover up the bird poop on the chair arms too.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  8. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

if you are out of soap scum cleaner -can use shampoo. I also use squeegee for washing windows. and i taped magnet to front of vacuum-so metal objects don't ruin it.And Dh made me a plastic pipe to attach to vacuum pipe-with curve piece at end. Get dust bunnies on top of fans and door molding etc.Great for real tall ceilings

9. dawg803

dawg803 New Seed

These are all such great tips!! Thanks for sharing everyone!

Does anyone happen to have any tips for hand washing clothes... it is such a pain that I always put it off. Thanks!!

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I don't handwash anything except nylons. EVERYTHING else is either gentle cycle or reg. wash. My grandma also taught me to hook and snap ALL hooks and snaps and turn all inside out to wash (and iron if you need to iron an article inside out).

11. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

Awesome, recycled twice. from tangerine box to cassette case to spice rack. And all look great.

12. miles.o

miles.o New Seed

Great looking rack... spice rack... :-D

A friend told me that she uses rubber hands to repel ants. I heard it works (to a point).

I use white vinegar to keep the machines clean. I throw in a cup of it into the dishwashing machine once a month to clean it out and keep it smelling fresh. I also throw a cup into the laundry machine as well.

carolyn likes this.
  13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I was listening to a program on the radio about detoxifying your home the other day and they said...."use essential oils for all you cleaning needs" Tea tree oil ( a couple drops in a spray bottle of water) is an excellent disinfectant and air purifier. I sprayed it around the toilet, as we all know this always smell so nice :rolleyes:, and wiped it up...the floor and the bowl, and then re sprayed it and let it air dry. I was amazed that it evaporated the faint urine smell that always seems to linger no matter how much I cleaned it.

miles.o likes this.
  14. miles.o

miles.o New Seed

Love that idea, Carolyn. Even though I'm a guy, I like a clean, nice smelling bathroom!

I haven't tried this one- but vinegar and dish detergent is supposed to be great on laminate floors. It cleans and leaves the floors streak free.I think I'll try that this weekend!! Will post an update when I do.

15. miles.o

miles.o New Seed

After using a lemon, cut into a small chunk and throw it down the garbage disposal. Everytime you use it, the lemon releases a fresh smell.