How did you come up with the names of your pets?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Capt Kirk, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Our son named all of our cats. Have no clue as why he decided to name them what did. The 2 yellow ones, brothers, he named Chug and Tug. The tortise shell calico is named Bert. Used to have an Ernie but he was not fixed and went off tom catting and never came back. He was a brother to Bert, but they were from an older litter to Tug and Chug. Bert is misnamed as she is a fixed female. Their mother is named Moma and lives at the neighbors barn, but comes back here to eat. They are all tamed feral cats and have all been spayed or nutered. The local Humane Society has a feral cat program where they will nueter them for $40. each The local vets charge about $140.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My dog shadow got her name because when she was a puppy she didn't like the sun and always hid in the shadows. My present dog, Boomer, got her name from her running back and forth (booming) across the floor. And the cat got her name ,Boots, because she is all black with 4 white feet. I am simple, what can I say! :chuckle:

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We had a black and white cat named Fudge, oldest daughter named it because she was really into hot fudge sundaes at the time. We had a German Shepherd named Tori, daughter name him too. Our Field Spaniel came to us from a rescue group with the name Rambo, his previous owner had been an elderly lady, I guess she had the hots for the movie character.
    Now we have a black cat named Spooky....wonder why???

Spookie2.JPG

cajuncappy and Kiasmum like this.
  5. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Growing up my dad always said give a pet a chance and it will name it self. Our first Bichon Frise showed up as a little white puff ball head strong and very mischievous I wanted to name him Brat but Peg wouldn't let me. A week or so later while sitting at our desk the "Brat" was at my feet. I heard a frightened yelp and smelled singed hair . The dog had chewed a cord enough to make contact and it snapped him. That did ti he was for ever after known as Sparky. He was that one of a kind dog whose memory I will carry to my grave, When Lord willing I will see him again.

marlingardener likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

We had a Labrador Retriever whom we named "Greb". He loved my husbands Greb brand work boots and would lay across them as a wee puppy. Even after he became a huge dog he would rest his chin or sometimes lay a paw on a boot.

cajuncappy likes this.
  7. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Spooky, looks alot like our current batch of yard kitties. here they can be seen dripping off of yard furniture. I call them Salvadore kitties.:)
    [​IMG]

Humble Pie and Jewell like this.
  8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have a repeated problem with feral cats in this neighborhood, people get the kittens and when they are no longer cute kittens their owners kick them outside and stop feeding them. Spooky was a yard kitty here until the end of Sept when I opened the door, he came in and took over 'his' domain.

Jewell likes this.
  9. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

If more people got feral cats fixed, they could not breed and create more feral cats. After getting ours fixed, we don't haqve the wandering Tom cats come through any more. If they do, they don't stick around.

Jewell likes this.
  10. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

It is sad when that happens. The one with the collor is mama cat and she showed up one day pregnant. She had 4 little black kettens. We ahve since carried them all to the vet and had them neutered. They are far from a nucience here. We live in s small country town in a small 2 block neighborhood that is completely surrounded with cane fields. Field mice are a horrible problem when they harvest the cane. Birds are a big problem when our fruit starts budding. Squirrels are a big problem with our pecan tree. The kitties help us with all these problems and we are very thankful to them. We encourage them to stick around and give them a warm dry place in teh shed when its cold. They dont catch many birds and no squirrels to my knowledge but they keep them scared away. We havent had not one single mouse sign since they showed up. The mama was what I guess ya call ferrel but now she follows you around every where ya go.

They also love to help us play in te garden boxes.:p

Jewell likes this.
  11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

We inherited our Shih Tzu from our daughter when she had to move. She named her Mercedes because she has always dreamed of buying a Mercedes car and she figured this would be as close as she would get. We just call her Merci.

12. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Tango and Jazz, itty bitty chihuahuas.

10385307_10154772529365387_2280993854566294585_n.jpg

Tango's the white one. I'm a ballroom dancer so he was named in honor of that. Jazz because she has always been such a hyper little thing. I didn't want either dog stuck with some fashion-accessory-purse-dog name, because they're not. They're dogs, period.

13. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

My rescued JRT is Penny, cause she has a round copper colored (coloured for my UK/Irish/Canadian friends) spot on her side. I have no idea why the missus named her Shi Tzu/Cocker mix Tink. penny and tink 2.jpg

14. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I wanted to name Boots tuxedo because he looks like he's wearing won. But Nicholas wants Boots because of his four white feet. So Boots it is.

15. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I usually have a new puppy several days or longer before I come up with a name. I just name them a name I think fits them. My first dog was a Miniature collie and Schnauzer mix. I named her Lindy, which can mean beautiful and diminutive. She was so small when I got her she could fit inside of my pocket. She grew to only weigh 12lbs. But had a big dog attitude and was super smart. My second dog was a blue merle male Australian Shepherd. I named him after a movie titled-Up in Smoke because of his smokey coat color. We called him Smokey. Super smart dog and loved to go swimming. Well, I was hooked on the breed with their unique coloring with no two looking a like and that they loved water. I liked having a dog that enjoyed swimming as much as I did.
    My next Aussie was a female blue merle. She was a little clumsy as a puppy. I would say to her, your such a Molly Puts. Thus Molly stuck.
    They my next Aussie was a dark chestnut color female with white and tan points. I named her Chessy because of her color. Not real original.
    My next Aussie was another female blue merle who I named after the constellation Cassiopeia because of her varied coat coloring. We called her Cassie for short. My next Aussie was another female Blue merle. When she was a puppy she loved to give you kisses. So I named her Kiss Me Kate. Thus we called her Katie. I would have gotten another one but I was so tired of having hair on and in every part of my home. So we adopted our little cocker and poodle mix in 2003. From the time she came home she was a sweet little thing that never got into any trouble. Except for the occasional poop or pee in the house. She never chewed on anything and always wanted to be in ones company and on ones lap. I thought she was such a sweet little Tootsie. Thus her name.

Frank and Donna S like this.
  16. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I let my daughter name Chloe the big tabby. I named Dolly cat that because when she was younger, she was very compliant and we thought we might be able to dress her up like a doll. Silly reason, now she is headstrong, demanding and high maintenance.:eek:
    Back in the late 70s, I had a puppy , a mixed breed that was a silvery gray color. He was uniquely different from his litter mates. I named him Gandalf. I had him for 8 or 9 years, and he truly was a wizard!!