How do I get rid of ants in my greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Donna S, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Help - I've got ants in my greenhouse. How do I get rid of them.

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic
    moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I use boiling water and just pour it down the ant hills. You could try using cream of wheat if they are on shelves or flat surfaces. I'm not sure how good the cream of wheat works but I used it around where I didn't want the dog to get the spray out in the yard.

dooley

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Donna, check your plants for APHIDS. They are drawn to the sweet sap they secrete and will protect and "milk" them for the substance. Next try the INSTANT cream of wheat. not the regular variety. Sometimes the plants are hosting the aphids long before you realize there is a problem. Check the peppers the closest.

5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Thanks Dooley and Carolyn for advice. I checked for aphids and found none. And I had no cream of wheat. I heard somewhere that cinnamon works so I tried it.I sprinkled it on shelves and around the floor. I was amazed the ants disappeared right before my eyes. I don't know where they went but they're gone for now.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The ant scouts probably found something worth investigating. If it went away or was depleted the ants move on. Like finding a grocery store, when the shelves are bare you don't shop there any more.

Jerry

7. Julius Tristan

Julius Tristan New Seed

Bait to kill ants, there are several ant baits. Try to wash you green house with soap, and put vinegar or salt to their nest. Or if any try to buy ant powder.