How often should I fertilize?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by mongoeastwood, Apr 24, 2011.

1. mongoeastwood

mongoeastwood New Seed

I have sand for my garden; I realize I have to learn the "rocket science" of composting, but too late for this spring; I have used fertilizer with little success for two years now; I am not satisfied with the results as I used triple 16 only three times last season for fear of "burning" the soil; can I use it more often, or not?

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Mongoeastwood, I wouldn't fertilize with a granular fert. more than a couple times a growing season, but yours probably leaches away pretty fast so you probably are not doing much harm to the plants. If you notice the leaves burning and not looking so great, back off. the other application you could use is time released fertilizer. As the spheres are watered they absorb the water and push the fertilizer out through the "skin", fertilizing more evenly. the other way to fertilize is with a hose end sprayer. Miracle grow makes them. You dump the granulated fertilizer in the container screw the lid back on and turn on the water. As easy as that. You could hose end fertilize every other watering.

Frank likes this.