How to care for a Fuschia plant?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Melissa1982, May 12, 2008.

1. Melissa1982

Melissa1982 Seedling

Hi, I wanted to get some fuschia plants but am not sure hot to care for them. We bought one last summer and it died, it didn't have a care tag with it when we got it...we saw some last night at the store and they are sooo beautiful! I read the tag and it said not to put in full sun (which we did with out plant last year) would they do well as house plants?

2. Loading...

3. woodlandfey

woodlandfey Seedling

Fuschia plants are finiky (sp). They break easily and require moist soil, not wet but well drained and moist. I have never had much luck with them but you should giving your location. I would try them outdoors not inside as they are very messy. I have seen them growing outside in CA before. No full sun but indirect light.

4. Melissa1982

Melissa1982 Seedling

Thanks for the tips. I will try it. I can see what you mean about them being messy, I hadn't thought of that.

5. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

I found this on google. I just got one too.

Advertisement
  6. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

I love them but they don't love me. Anything that needs more feedings and watering than me I stay away from. But I must envy the plant because it is even prettier than me. Good luck because they are sooooo pretty.

7. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

My Fuschia is in a pot on a porch that gets morning sun. It gets pretty hot here very shortly, so I surely anticipate more watering, but I only planted in fertile potting soil. We'll see!
    gardengater

8. wiltedthumb

wiltedthumb New Seed

help my fuchsia

I fell in love with this plant when I saw it at a farmers market. It had beautiful big bright flowers when I brought it home. I hung it in front of a window that gets filtered sunlight throughout the day. I water it every day. It has tons of buds, but they have only been producing dull, small flowers, or just falling off. Today, I noticed that the side of the plant not by the window is wilted and lifeless. I thought these plants liked shade. I am afraid to put it outside because temps are in the mid-high 90's here, and I don't really have a spot that would be shady. What can I do to bring it back to life???

9. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

The Fuschia I've seen are hanging on semi shaded porches. Mine dried up due to too much sun in pm's. Good luck with yours.
    Gardengater