How to Divide/Move Spirea

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by muddypaws, Oct 9, 2011.

1. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

Hi stewbies!
    I have a spirea that's hanging over the driveway too much and I want to move it. I think this is the right time to move it now in zone 6, ohio. My question is, do I cut it down a third, two thirds, then dig it up and divide it?

Any suggestions would help.

Thx
    muddypaws
    :idea:

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sorry to wait so long to answer your question, but I had to contact a friend in Ohio who gardens extensively. It's been years since we had spirea, so I had forgotten a lot about it.
    He says to wait until late winter when you are absolutely sure the shrub is dormant. Dig it up, cut the root ball into the size sections you want (he suggested a machete, or a hatchet), and replant where you want. He also said to trim any broken roots and to cut the top back by about 1/2, also removing any damaged canes. Water it well and often until it is established, which he thinks may be the shrubs' first summer in the new spots. But he added the caveat that our weather has been so crazy he can't be absolutely sure about how long the spirea will take to get established.
    He also suggested digging the new holes now and putting a tarp over the resulting dirt pile. Saves trying to thaw and dig frozen soil.

3. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

Marlin,
    thanks for the reply. I had read somewhere that I could do that now, but it didn't seem right to me. I'll take your advice and dig the new holes now and cover them up. Then wait until early winter to move.
    Thanks again!
    muddy paws

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Muddy,
    My Ohio gardener said to move the spirea in late winter. I think (and I'm surmising, since I wasn't smart enough to ask him) that is because the roots need to establish themselves quickly, and going through an entire winter with the freeze/thaw/heaving of the soil will diminish the chances of settling in well. Late winter will have less of that, plus the plant will be on a natural growth cycle.

5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Hmm. I have moved spirea at other times of the year, didn't cut it back and it thrived anyhow. I think it was in the spring when things were still rainy and soggy. I wouldnt move things during a dry spell though.