How to get rid of poison ivy rash?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Canadian Chelsea, May 10, 2009.

1. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

My first question here and it's not a good one but here goes:

Today being Mothers Day, we were going to have dinner at my daughters house when she called me this morning saying she had poison ivy all over her face, neck, arms, hands and back....and it is spreading more.

She has tried using calamine lotion and has taken benedryl to no avail. It's still spreading and she is in tears.

My daughter is going to try and get into a walk-in clinic or the hospital. I'm going with her when she does but in the meantime, does anyone here know how to get rid of poison ivy rash?

Please help her :(

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Here is some information that might be helpful:

"Rub alcohol to the affected area, then rinse it with water and later wash with soap and water. Wet the infected area and rub plain table salt on it, this will not only relieve the victim but also stop further spread. Rub the inner side of a banana peel on the rash. This will help you to relieve itching. Place the infected area under running water. This will wash away histamines which cause itching of skin. Pour 3 cups of oats into warm water and soak the infected area into it. Simultaneously rub the affected area. Doing this will relieve you of itching. Mix 1/4 cup of bleach with 3/4 cup of warm water and apply to the affected area using a washcloth. This will kill the poison within 2 to 3 days. Apply aloe vera juice over the affected area, this will cool and provide instant relief."

Taken from the Home Remedies website.

Also, check out this website:

http://www.chiff.com/a/poison-ivy.htm

I home your daughter recovers soon.

4. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Boy I wish Id known about those remedies when I was younger, I used to get poison ivy every year without fail...one time it got so bad I ended up in the hospital for a week o_O

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Unfortunately, I think she is going to have to manage the sx while she waits for the rash to ease. She is making a good choice to see dr for something stronger to ease her discomfort and something topical to help speed the healing of the rash. Poor thing. How unfortunate for her. Thankfully, I'm not particularly sensitive to it but my mom had some nasty bouts. Some people seem to really get hit hard by it...

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

It sounds like it has got it in her blood stream and if so only the Dr.can stop it with shots or IVs.What a bad Mothers Day for her.

7. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

If it gets any worse a trip to the doctor will be in order. Some people are hyper allergic to it. My brother was when he was young and if it gets in the blood it is miserable. Sorry to hear about her horrible mothers day.

Soak in Aveno Oatmeal bath is soothing..but DO NOT SCRATCH!

8. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

Thank you all for your wonderful advice :stew1:

I visited my daughter today and wow, she is covered with the rash. Her face and her hands are swollen and red.

I bought her some Aveeno and calamine lotion to help her alleive the itch. Thank you for suggestions. She went to the emergency room earlier in the afternoon and the doctor gave her some steroid pills to take. My poor baby :(

Oh and I bought her a mud pie to make her feel better. It did. Made me feel better too! mmm, mmm....good. ;)

9. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Sad way to spend moms day.

Hope she is better 2maro.
    Glad your an understanding mom.
    True some folks are sensitive to different things and that must be hers.

Bless both of you.

10. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

That is good that she went. I hope she feels much better very very quickly!!! Yum. Mud pie.