How to get rid of raccoon problem?

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by lilysmile, Aug 18, 2016.

Tags:
?

Do you have a raccoon or rodent problem in your garden?

1. yes

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. lilysmile

lilysmile New Seed

Has anyone ever had raccoon problems?

I have a really bad raccoon problem in my neighborhood and I just don’t know how to make them go away. One of my neighbors had a family of raccoons live in their shed. She didn’t want to evacuate them because they had babies. I had never seen such a disgusting amount of poop in my life when we walked in there. It smelled strongly of raccoon. They tore down that shed when the babies grew up.

My last straw was when they destroyed my garden. I built a square foot garden and grew a beautiful crop of corn. I woke up one morning to find stalks and half-gnawed corn everywhere. That was it!

I’ve heard that raccoons have the same tastebuds as humans do, so that probably explains their penchant for going through our garbage and garden.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for how to get rid of raccoons? I would really appreciate it! I have heard De-Fence raccoon spikes work, but has anyone here tried it?

2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Racoons got into a garden shed I had years ago. They tore up the floor, chewed the walls and generally made a huge mess. I ended up trapping them and turning them over to Wildlife & Conservation.

I do not think a raccoon will just arbitrarily leave and there isn't much you can do to keep them out of the places if they're determined to get in.

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I took down my bird feeders every night for a week and then they never came back. We had dogs at the time too but nothing that the raccoon couldn't handle. But they did steal my favorite feeder and we looked over the 3 acres and couldn't find it.

Maybe if you did some research on their predators and get a scent from them and spray it all over where they go. Not sure where you can buy scents of animals but I would think they would be some place on the web. Good luck...

Islandlife likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Moth balls worked for a friend of mine. Sprinkled around the perimeter of a garden or a storage building or even your yard. I would toss a few inside the store room. They smell but its better than raccoon poop.

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Agree. Moth balls or (flakes) may work but I when I had millions, I bought havahart traps, but not that brand, for cheapness...I caught them with small cans of cat or dog food and locked he traps. Put them in my car with a tarp underneath them and took them 15 miles away on a isolated dirt road... I did that about 25 times and now I put traps out once in a while just for safe keeping. I catch nothing now....

For the record, I get a few foxes, 2 skunks, 30 groundhogs, 25 raccoons, many cats, 10 opossums and probably others that I can't remember over 4 years... The opossums were the worst....but I am at peace now...and so is my veggie garden.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Um, I am not as kind as everyone else here... needless to say they are not anybody else's problem, either if I encounter them. Frank says I am not allowed to tell you what I do to them... I had 1/2 acre of corn destroyed by these filthy and vile destructive creatures. needless to say, I have no love for them.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

You make me laugh Carolyn...You are so cute.....I know what you do with those creatures....When we caught the first few things, we looked at each other and thought..what are we going to do with them??? Driving them far away seems like a good trade off for trying to dig and bury around here.. we are mostly rocks, big ones. I have close neighbors who may be watching....can't do the things here in my yard, that Frank won't let you tell us.....LOL

carolyn likes this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Usually I kindly say I inoculate them with Pb....:smt120 " I am a pretty good shot... if you give me enough ammunition" is what I told my son one day not long ago with askunk in my chicken coop stealing eggs and causing mayhem and destruction.

waretrop likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, we use the same remedy for anything that tries to invade the chicken coop. I'm a lousy shot, but can scare the heck out of feral cats, raccoons, neighbor's roaming dogs, and the occasional opossum. Fortunately the coyotes and bobcats have stayed out of the barn area--they prefer the pond perimeters.
    We had more raccoons when we lived in town--all that lovely garbage! Here they stay away for the most part, except when they are looking for a nice place to spend the winter--our barn, under the workshop, or in the shed. That's when we need to be vigilant.
    About Lilysmiles post--mothballs worked for us when in town. They do need to be replaced after a rain. We also found coyote urine at an "outdoors" store (Academy or Gander Mountain) and there is a job I don't want to contemplate--gathering coyote urine. They also had fox urine :)eek:) but since we don't have foxes here, I don't know if it works or not. We tried bleach, just plain chlorine bleach sprayed around the garden's edge, but chlorine dissipates so quickly that I think you have to hit the 'coon right between the eyes with it for it to be effective.
    Why did Noah let those critters on the ark?

2ofus, Tooty2shoes and waretrop like this.
  11. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I'm with you Carolyn. Those critters are not on my favorites list at ALL. Like Frank I can't tell you what we do to get rid of them.

Marling---I also do not what the job of coyote urine collector. We do Shake-Away around the outside of our pole barn to keep out the woodchucks. Works great except you have to keep reapplying it. But I will do that than have them move under our barn floor.
    We have had a relatively raccoon and varmint free year so far. I am soooo happy for that. We will see what the fall brings. I did get my 22 out and clean it just in case.

carolyn likes this.