Hydrangea leaves turning red

Discussion in 'Hydrangea' started by kellyleone, Aug 24, 2008.

1. kellyleone

kellyleone New Seed

I am wondering if anyone knows why my white hydrangeas leaves are turning red and the flowers are pink and green, my pink flowers are brown and not growing new buds- help!

2. Loading...

3. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

I note you have not had any replies to your question kellyleone. I am not an expert on hydrangeas but I do know that they prefer an ericaceous compost and PLENTY of water, preferably rain water. Maybe yours have not been watered sufficiently and that is why the buds are not developing. I grow mine in tubs and have even managed to take cuttings successfully. Hope this helps a little.

4. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

The colour of the flowers in blue and pink hydrangeas are dependant on the PH of your soil I wonder if it has an impact on the white flowers, I cant say I have come across white flowering ones to have much experience with them.Our hydrangea leaves go a reddy colour when they are dying off in fall, so could it just be the life cycle of the plant. The buds not developing I cannot answer but maybe as last comment says it could be lack of water or maybe poor soil quality, have you feed them recently? would explain the colour change in the white one if the soil quality has deterioratedn and is a possible thought for the flowering problem

5. Papa2mykids

Papa2mykids Seedling

Hydrangea flowers change colors with age. White blooms will turn pink and green before they turn brown.

Other colors like pink and blue will fade and eventually tun brown.

Hydrangea like an acidy soil (5.5) for blue colors.

Not seeing the foliage, it is difficult to tell why they may be turning red.

It could be stress, insect bites and leaf gulls can change the coloration to near purple.

Hydrangea means water vessel in Latin. Are they getting enough water and nutrients?

Ron