I did it again... I ordered another daylily

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sherry8, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I tend to order things after I look at those nursery books that come in the mail....I ordered one daylily and they always send you another one free. I am hoping I can find enough room for both of them...I plan on moving some trumpet lilies, after so many years of being so tall are now very short. I am not sure why lilies would do that, the only thing different was I added some bulb fertilizer a couple years ago.

Does anyone know if that happens to most trumpet lilys? They still get a nice flower head or trumpet but the height is only about 1/4 of what it used to be. I haven't been able to find any information on the subject.

Has anyone else ordered something new for your garden? I am still looking for HOT LIPS Salvia...the place that usually carried it isn't offering it any more...Please share what you will be getting in the mail once your weather warms up. Have a great day...;)

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. donna in nc
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. margie12u
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sherry, garden catalogs are addictive--one can always find something that is a "must have". My husband tries to get to the mailbox before I do, and hide the garden catalogs! It doesn't work since I can sniff out a garden catalog from 50 paces.
    About those trumpet lilies--have they been lifted and divided in the past four years? I found that lilies, especially ones that had been fertilized, needed to be lifted and separated. Mine grew, got crowded, and none did as well as they could, although they hung in there and lived and bloomed. Once I lifted them and spaced them farther apart, the plants did a lot better.

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I will try that but they never seemed crowded so I didn't think I had to do it... not like iris that really get crowded. Hopefully that will work. Thank you marlingardener ....I planted them when we first moved here about 10 years ago so I am thinking you are correct.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, herbs? You just hit my hot button. I'm going to check out that site right now. I love growing and using herbs!

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Thank you toni...the first place only has 2 plants and I am checking into the second one for the Hot Lips salvia. I want at least 6 to maybe 8 plants.