I got roses!

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by marlingardener, Feb 29, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We went to Chamblee's today--lovely ride through the countryside with pastures greening, trees in bud and some in blossom, and calves romping the fields.
    Enough with the nature report, let's get down to ROSES! There is such a selection it is hard to decide which to bring home. I had a list of possibles, and that went out the window as soon as we started looking at roses. I did get a Julia Child and another Nagodoches, then found a few more.
    Chamblee's.jpg

We put garbage bags on the floor mats and filled the back seat with roses.
    Roses coming home.jpg
    There was no danger of tipping over if they were on the floor.
    Then when we got home I gave everyone a good drink and they are sitting on the back deck, waiting to be planted in the next few days. I was very good, and only got seven roses.

Attached Files:

Donna S, 2ofus, Chrisle and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh boy however did you restrict yourself to only seven roses Jane? I would have needed a lead and collar on me to keep me under control at Chamblee's. I'd have been running from place to place picking up pot after pot and would have probably bought way too many.:setc_032: I admire your restraint!! I'm looking forward to seeing yours planted up and seeing them bloom.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow, What a place to visit....I would have had my car filled to the brim. LOL Can't wait to see them when they bloom..

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

that is a lot of roses to have to choose from.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Choosing wasn't easy--I swore no more red or pink roses, so we came home with a red David Austin rose! We have two bi-color, and two yellow, and one peach. The sale barn (yes, there is a sale barn of discontinued roses!) had an April Moon, which is yellow turning to cream as it opens, and I had to have that one. Here they are on the back deck, waiting to be planted.
    Roses at home.jpg

Frank, Henry Johnson and eileen like this.
  7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Good luck with your roses. I'm looking forward to seeing the blooms. :D

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I'm with Droopy and Eileen--looking forward to seeing some "roses-in-bloom" foto's later on.

I really liked seeing the rose tunnel. Boy, oh boy--what a selection!

I was looking at the back seat of your auto and was wondering how my long legs are ever going to fit in there when we all go plant shopping. hahaha.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, you get to sit in the front--I'll be in the back seat crooning to the plants! The rose tunnel in the photo is only one of three, and there are at least a dozen more where they grow out the roses.
    I'll post pictures of the new roses in bloom until y'all get sick of seeing them!

Henry Johnson likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I ain't nevvuh gonna git sick-uh yo piccies.
    I am so surprised to learn that there were more tunnels. It sounds like a sort of paradise on earth.

Ya-HOO--I gets to sit in the front... I was just getting ready to call, "I got Shotgun".

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Those are going to be beautiful in bloom. I love my Julia Child it has a wonderful scent.

marlingardener likes this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sojerd, there are six tunnels of roses for sale, in 1, 2, and 3 gallon pots. The roses-on-sale tunnel is off to the right of the parking lot where you can just see some cars parked.. The rest of the tunnels in this photo of the site (picked up from Google Earth) are the propagating and growing tunnels. Chamblee's is famous throughout Texas for their roses, and have a sterling reputation. It's a good thing that the rose nursery is about 2 1/2 hours away from us, or I'd be bankrupt (happy, but broke!).
    Chamblee's.jpg

Sjoerd and Henry Johnson like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Just amazing to see, Jane.
    Thanks for posting the foto.

14. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

It sounds like you got some very pretty roses but, with so many roses to choose from, how in the world did you manage to make up your mind on which ones to buy! I am looking forward to seeing pictures of them when they blossom. Have you already planned where you want to plant them?

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Believe me, it wasn't easy making decisions about which roses to go home with! We do have blank spots in the flowerbeds, so five of the seven will go in there. I think I can squeeze another into a corner of the herb garden, and the seventh may just get a spot all its own!

Henry Johnson likes this.
  16. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Easy Does It rose.jpg
    One of our new roses bloomed! I don't like to buy roses in bud or bloom, but all of the Easies were going to blossom. Kinda pretty, isn't she?

2ofus likes this.