I have made a big mistake...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fatbaldguy, May 28, 2016.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I covered a large section of garden with several inches of chipped wood. I thought I was doing a good thing to suppress weeds and conserve soil moisture.

Now, I've learned that when raking back the wood chips and attempting to direct seed, there is too much of the wood chips mixed into the soil surface. This in turn sequesters some of the available nitrogen in the soil. I'm still able to grow and produce with just a bit of help from some diluted ammonia to supplement nitrogen.

Question: Where can I buy some large quantities of pelletized nitrogen to mix into the wood chips to facilitate the rapid decomposition of said chips.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Look into Milorganite. If you decide to use it, it should be available at Home Depot in large bags.
    I hope this helps.

4. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

If I'm not mistaken, milorganite is derived from sewage solids. Too many heavy metals and pharmaceuticals for me.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Just add some commercial fertilizer with a high nitrogen number and water it in. If not too large an area some additional compost that is working would get it started. I would do both.

Henry Johnson and carolyn like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Look for blood meal, mate.

Macbrine and Henry Johnson like this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

FBG, not much of a mistake... you did fine with using woodchips as long as you don't mix them into the garden soil. that is when you start sucking the nitrogen into decomposing the chips. Along with doing the N or bloodmeal (but watch for 'coons with blood meal) don't till the chips under. Just let them be the mulch and rake back where you want to plant if that wouldn't be too much work for you. the wood chips will break down quite nicely over the next year. If you have a weed problem spot spray or pull what is there. things like quack grass or creeping charley, mugwort or thistles... I have found need to be sprayed with *cough*gag*puke*...roundup. it doesn't take much but it must be done... or a flame weeder perhaps but don't set the garden on fire doing it.

fatbaldguy and Henry Johnson like this.
  8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

There is a natural weed killer recipe. It contains vinegar, but I don't have the recipe. I'm sure it can be found. Just google it.