I hope I saved it.

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Bosque, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

Last month while looking around the garden center at Walmart I ran across this really sad looking rose. It was on clearance and I felt so bad for it I just had to take it home. I planted it a couple days later pruned of thw broken & wilted parts. Cut of the few buds it had so it could use its energy for roots and branches. I kept a close eye on it but it continued to decline. Lost just about every leaf it had. Thought for sure I was gonna lose it. I had mixed up a big barrel of alfalfa tea and was feeding all the other roses and decided to give it some. Well low and behold it has made a very nice turn-around. Its not blooming or even setting buds yet but at least its grown a bunch of new leaves and doesn't look like its at deaths door. Please take a look at the picture.
    Opinions welcome. 20170605_191412.jpg

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Looks like it will grow fine. Roses are tough.

Philip Nulty and Frank like this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

it looks fine to me. is it a minature or a regular rose? if it is a mini keep the marker/stake. next to it so it doesn't get trampled or mowed over.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Looks like your a life saver,..healthy looking new growth there,..i wonder what bloom it will produce,..now that's always something to look forward to :like: well done.

Advertisement
  6. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

It is Oklhoma, a hybrid tea rose. Philip, I know what it will look like as it had a few blooms when I bought it. I cut them all off so the plant could put all its enery into roots & leaves.
    I use to have an Oklahoma a few years ago. It has gorgeous dark red blooms with a wonderful fragrance. Hope it does well where I planted it.

marlingardener and Philip Nulty like this.
  7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Bosque,..with my interest in Roses i looked it up,..a bit of history to this rose and a great scent as well,..it will be a bonus for you when it blooms.
    Rosa 'Oklahoma' - Wikipedia

8. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

Philip, thank you for the info. I am hoping it might produce a few blooms this fall. I usually get a good fall flush. If I do, you can bet I'll be happy to post pictures.

Philip Nulty likes this.