I just heard from a friend in Wyoming

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by 2ofus, May 26, 2015.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

There's is flooding around Lander where my friend lives! I knew that south and east Texas are having floods, some that are extremely bad. I checked on U.S Flooding Map and I was shocked, not only by the amount of rain but the large areas that are flooding or in danger of flooding! We are having the wettest spring I've seen but we are not even close to having a problem. My heart goes out to all that are having bad weather.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

There is flooding in the Houston area; Wimberly was hit by a tornado; the area south and west of Austin is flooding; and a dam near Bastrop broke, but with no injuries or loss of life. The county south of us had a tornado with one man killed, and there are still searches going on for people who may have been swept away in flood waters.
    I am constantly thankful that we are on top of a hill and not prone to flooding (except for standing water in the yards and lots, and an overflowing pond). We didn't even lose electricity, as many did and are still having outages.
    Thank you, 2ofus for your concern. This is certainly an unusual spring, and knowing that others care about what others are going through really helps!

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Photos on local news sites are showing parts of Houston sitting under almost 5 feet of water and their groundwater level is so close to the surface down there, the excess water has no place to go if it can't run into creeks or rivers. Several people are missing after their homes were swept away.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I've been through hurricanes and tornatos but never floods. I can't even imagine that much water where it does not belong, let alone seeing my family and home swept away.

6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

No hurricanes for me but I've been in one tornado and was thrown in a bathtub with a mattress put on top of me, but I was only four so I really don't remember it. We've had to take shelter a couple of other times but they didn't touch down. I have felt several minor shakes from quakes but just enough to get a little dizzy. I can't imagine the kind of flooding that Houston, and other area's, are having. I see the pictures and it is so horrible for so many people but it's still hard for me to imagine what being there is like.