I Love Egypt

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Raddang, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

We have been going to Egypt for the last 20 years, often twice a year. We have grown to love the country and its people and have made many friends there. The unsettled situation since the 'Arab Spring' means we have limited our visits and have not been for a couple of years. The Egyptian Ministry of Tourism is trying to revive their tourist industry and I found this short video clip, on another forum, that the Ministry have produced as part of their promotion of the country.
    It is just a fast running series of video snapshots of this beautiful and fascinating country that I hope to visit again soon.

2ofus, Islandlife, Droopy and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My youngest son has been to Egypt and loved everything about it. I can see why after watching the video link. He's hoping to go back there some day in the near future as well.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nice posting mate---I have travelled a bit in the Middle East and of course Egypt was one of the places that one really must visit if in the area. I agree with you whole-heartedly about the fascinating aspect of this country. We immersed ourselves into the culture a bit and could detect good, and less-good aspects; however, the positives were in the majority. It couldn't be otherwise. The foto's and clips on the vid show things in a good, if not romantic light...the accent on tourism is evident, but when you the experiences that I have from my visit there were less touristic and glamorous...as we enjoyed doing things in a different way.

I have historical and architectural interests in the Middle East and there really are wonders there to behold...and if one brings themselves up to scratch historically before the visit, then the experience of being there will be a very rich one indeed. I find that treading where events of historical/biblical import once played themselves out is an enormously moving experience. Further, taking time to closely look at details is the way I like to visit places, and that is sort of in contrast to a package tour experience.

I absolutely can understand why you like it there so much...I can also understand your prudence when considering travel there at the moment. Thanks for this great posting and vid.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

You're so lucky to have seen the Egyptian sights. I've always wanted to visit and hope that some day I will.

Advertisement
  6. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

@Sjoerd I can see that you speak from real experience Sjoerd. We have been everywhere that the video features and much more. Like you we get a great sense of the history when walking where Pharohs walked in millennia past. But we also like to get among the people, in their villages and on so many occasions, into their homes. Any first trip tends to follow the tourist sights but with growing confidence from repeated visits you can get away to experiences not known to the single trip visitor.
    Sadly tourism is right down just now and I expect we will see a change but we want to go just one more time before we draw a line under travel outside Europe........It's an age thing mate ;)
    @Droopy I would wait until the country recovers its tourist industry, hopefully in a few years, or you may be disappointed.

Droopy likes this.
  7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I've been and would love to see Aswan and that area however the entire area has to settle down before I venture forth again. Definitely loved the museums :) :)

8. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Just put together a very rough and ready snapshot video of some random shots. These are mostly away from the tourist areas so a contrast to the lead video......As I said it IS VERY rough and ready ;)

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@Raddang - Lots of lovely photos there! In my mind before I ever went to Egypt I only ever thought about it shades of brown however after I got there I was amazed at all the vibrant colours and how they popped so brightly against the background of brown.

Great video clip given it was a fast put together ;) :like: