I need help getting rid of wild onion

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by cindyfisch, Apr 21, 2014.

1. cindyfisch

cindyfisch New Seed

Is there any way other than digging to get the wild onions out of the yard? I've spent hours and burned through 3 hand shovels trying to dig them up and haven't even completed 1/2 our small back yard. Commercial weed control products say they kill it, but nothing happens to the ones in my yard - even with repeat applications. Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Cindy--
    I am sorry no one has answered your post. I have not had a problem with wild onion, but I have heard it is very difficult to get rid of. Do you object to spraying it directly with Roundup? The other idea I have is that if it is particularly thick in one area, you could try just smothering it with carpeting or plastic mulch for a season. The final idea I have is just plain persistence. I have several weeds in my garden that I pull and pull and pull e-v-e-r-y year. They finally give up the ghost, but I still have to be at the ready in case an errant one pokes its head up. Persistence usually pays off.

Frank likes this.
  4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Cindy you could try spraying it with vinegar. See what effect that has on it. I use it as a weed control in my yard and it kills everything I spray it on. One has to repeat the application if the weeds try and grow back. But it is safe.
    You also could try a weed burner. The one we have has a small propane cylinder attached to a long rod with a torch end. You turn on the gas and light the end and burn those crummy little weeds to death. :twisted: Actually you only have to heat them up to cause the leaves to start curling and that kills them. But I like to make sure and burn them to a crisp. That way I know I have gotten the root killed.
    Hope that helps. I hate using chemical in my yard if at all possible. You never know how much harm they will do or how long they stay in the soil. :stew1:

Cayuga Morning likes this.