I need help with my Ivy!!

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Cali, May 21, 2017.

1. Cali

Cali New Seed

I'm not really sure what's going on... I'm fairly new to house plants and this is my first ivy! It recently started losing leaves in the center of the plant and there is some strange spots on some leaves and 1 yellowish leaf now... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong!! I love ivy and I've always wanted one so I hope to keep it alive! 20170520_205452_001.jpg 20170520_205512_001.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Your plant is covered in spidermites. fill a dishpan with warm soapy water. turn the plant upside down and dunk it up and down several times swishing it around covering each and every leaf and stem with soapy water. turn it over and let it drip dry right in the sink or empty dishpan, do not rinse it off. let the soapy water dry on the plant. that should eliminate most/all of them and then you will need to do it again in a few days to eliminate any more that you missed the first time.

Philip Nulty and Henry Johnson like this.
  4. Cali

Cali New Seed

Thank you!! I'll do that now!! I sprayed it with a dawn and water mix when I got it but I never thought about dunking it!!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Cali

Cali New Seed

Is it okay to leave it to dry with soap suds?

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yep. let it dry with the soap on it. I just dunked a whole tray of onion and lettuce starts this morning in the wheelbarrow with dawn in it. swish it around and flip it back over to dry on the driveway.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Cali

Cali New Seed

Thanks again! I'm still fairly new to this house plant stuff lol I have African violets who do wonderful with me but everything else is just surviving I think. Do you know anything about lemon button ferns? I can't get the picture to upload but it just don't seem to look real happy.. I'll keep trying for a picture

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Cali

Cali New Seed

20170521_094836.jpg

Frank and Philip Nulty like this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ferns need a lot of humidity. Set it on a dish with pebbles or stones and keep the dish filled with water. Or keep a humidifier running near it. They also need a weak fertilizer occasionally.

Cali and Philip Nulty like this.
  10. Cali

Cali New Seed

Okay.. just to clarify the drain hole doesn't need to be open does it? I do spray it with water a few times a week is that something I should continue?