I need Information on plant division.

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by flower1lady2000, Oct 17, 2012.

1. flower1lady2000

flower1lady2000 Seedling

I have a lot of bulbs and plants that need dividing; I would like to know the best way to do this to sell some of the plants in the spring. I wondered if it would be good to go ahead and put them into small pots and let them get started growing as I take them up and divide them. I have a shed I could store them in or would it be ok if they were just placed outside in the pots? So far I have dug some varigated lariope, stella d o'ro lilies, tiger lilies, and some asiatic lilies. I have many more that need dividing. Or would it be best to just plant them back into the garden and take them back up in the spring? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    flowerlady

2. Loading...

3. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

I don't know how cold it gets over there.
    And I've also never done this. But I'd say putting the plants and bulbs in a freezing environment may not be the best procedure.
    In a pot is not the same as in the ground.
    Why not sell them now? As bulbs?
    I would rather buy bulbs and plant them, than bulbous plants in pots, all green, etc.
    If you plant them back in the garden, it may not be good for them to dig them up again in spring.
    Over here in Romania, we do see in early spring (usually for March 1st and 8th - when we celebrate women...you know, gifts) lots of pots with dafofdils, tulips, hyacinths - but these are forced to be in full bloom on those exact dates.
    But that's called "forcing" bulbs and I don't think that's what you want.
    Like I said, try to sell at least the bulbs now FRESHLY DUG UP.
    Even the plants.
    If not, plant them back in the garden, and in early spring you can divide them in pots.

4. flower1lady2000

flower1lady2000 Seedling

Thank you,
    I didn't think about trying to sell them now but that is probably a better plan or just leave them in the ground until spring and then dig and divide them, selling them fresh.
    We normally have a few days of single digits and possibly a day or two with below zero degrees in our winters, mostly in the teens is the normal.
    Thanks again,
    flowerlady

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Flowerlady, we are in Texas in a climate not all that unlike yours.My first choice would be Cal's suggestion--sell them now as bulbs.
    If you want to sell them as plants, put them in the pots now, give them the proper "cold" time (it varies as to type of flower, but you can do a bit of research and find out the requirements), and bring them into a warmer environment about two months before you want to sell them.
    Planting in the garden and digging in the spring is definitely not an option. The root disturbance would make the plant wilt and probably cause the flower bud/flower to fall off. Not something a customer would want to buy!

carolyn likes this.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I agree with Cal and Jane, sell them now, although it may be a bit harder than in spring or pot them up and let them be until early in spring when you can move them to a more temperate area or allow them to grow naturally in the pots and have your plant sale when it's appropriate for your area. They will grow quicker than the plants in the ground just because the soil mass can warm up a bit quicker than the ground will.

7. flower1lady2000

flower1lady2000 Seedling

Great! that sounds good to me. Thanks for all the information.
    flowerlady