I need input on perennial Geraniums?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Sep 28, 2015.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have a Rozanne geranium on one side of my arbor bed and want to plant a pink one on the opposite side. I've been looking on-line until I'm cross eyed and have found 2 possibilities, Irish Blue and Dily's. They are suppose to be 10 to 12 inches tall and 2 to 3 foot across, which is about the size I want, but their are so many listed on line that I thought I'd ask here and get the scoop on your favorites before I made up my mind.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't even try to grow them down here, zone 8 is their limit and they need moisture that I can not provide for them, so I am not familiar with them but I would suggest you choose your favorite, not someone else's ;)
    Of the two you mentioned which one is the one that really makes you happy to look at.....maybe both do so you might consider getting one of each.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I don't think I know either one. I had a 'Johnsons Blue', it was pretty. It was in a dryer spot in the yard and didn't come back one spring. I would definitely get another if I had a better spot for it.

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Well, it's too late to plant anything in my zone 4 garden now so I'll have all winter to figure out what I want. Rozanne blooms most of the summer with no reseeding but there are some pink ones that are similar.

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Roxanne kind of looks like the cranesbill geranium I have. I got rid of most of it last fall. It was so thick and full of mosquitoes. I wish I wouldn't have done it because it took away some of the bird hiding places from the hawk. I didn't think about that part of it...

7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sherry like you I have the Cranesbill geranium planted in a place that it can take over. Yikes, it sure can get out of control if not kept in check. My growing zone is 5 so I won't see any flowers for a few months yet. :(

8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have finally decided that I'm going to get 'Patricia'. It is sterile so I won't get a zillion seedlings plus I realized last year that my gardens were predominantly purples and blues so I want to add yellows, whites, and pinks. I've allowed 3 feet for it (and the Rozanne I planted last fall) so I'll need to keep them pruned. Not much else I can do as I can't make my beds larger! :(