I need your opinion please... Frank if I need a different picture because of the sign let me know..

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Sherry8, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

We are building a new home and have the house I am asking about is up for sale. We have had people say they liked the home but nothing else. In your opinion do you think we should take out the large flower bed I have in the front yard to make it sell faster? I am thinking it will be hard to find a gardener willing to put in as much time as we have through the years. We would plant grass and nothing else, seeing we have 3 trees in the front yard already. A simple yes or no is fine, I would just like a little feed back on peoples opinions. I do have flower beds
    all around the house but they are narrow ones.
    July 15, 2017 029 (2).jpg

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

July 14, 2017 261 (2).jpg
    Here is one part of the large flower bed...

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'd keep it Sherry as it looks much nicer than a vast expanse of grass..

Philip Nulty and 2ofus like this.
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'd keep the garden.

Advertisement
  6. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I think, even if the prospective new buyers will rip out the garden when they buy the house, the beauty of the flowers will probably give them a good feeling about the property and may even swing them even subconciously into choosing your house over another one. Your flowerbed is beautiful. I vote keep it

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I would definitely vote to keep! The garden is lovely & it would be a selling point for gardeners and non gardeners probably won't realize how much work it is!

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

it actually amazes me that anyone wants a sterile yard. keep it. if they don't want it after it is sold offer to remove the plants in the Fall and transplant them to your new house. or have a plant swap with them with your friends, anything but let them trash them. the bed is beautiful and well maintained. seems to be a no brainer to me but then again realtors tell you to remove all "personalized" paraphernalia from your home to make it "appeal" to a potential buyer. but what that does is makes a blank slate and for the unartistic people it makes a blank slate with no clue "what" should be in "that" spot. inside or out. if it was weedy and dumpy looking... out with it, but it isn't. it could be the little "pop" that sells your home.

eileen, Philip Nulty and 2ofus like this.
  9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I agree with all the above. Especially about removing it, if the buyers do not want it.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Sherry,..i would keep the flower bed its certainly an added attraction,..people sometimes just want to have a look at a property but have no intention of buying so they wouldn't have much to say,..you will get the right buyer,..just keep fingers crossed its sooner than later :)

eileen likes this.
  11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Many buyers will want the vast expanse of grass and many will like the 'curb appeal' of the bed. It will appeal to a larger number of potential buyers without the garden but since it is an active bed with edging I would leave it because you do not have enough good weather left in the growing season where you are for grass seed to germinate and grow to fill in the empty space that would be left by taking it out and that will turn off more potential buyers than a lovely flower garden will.
    You could also build in a 'take out the garden and restore the lawn' allowance in the asking price of the home....a Realtor can help you with the details. That might get you more interest from non-gardeners if they know there will be money to help restore the lawn.

Cayuga Morning and Philip Nulty like this.
  12. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I'd ask your realtor their opinion. To me your home has great appeal, but every area is different. Many people prefer smaller yards now with less maintenance. Being competitively priced and location are generally the biggest determining factors for sales in my area. Good luck on the sale and congratulations on your new home.

Cayuga Morning and Philip Nulty like this.
  13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Keep it and be patient, the right person hasn't come along yet! :)

Philip Nulty likes this.