I think birds are now attacking my potted plants on my porch

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by poodledoodlemom, Apr 28, 2014.

1. poodledoodlemom

poodledoodlemom Seedling

Something has already killed what I had planted in my garden. Not sure if was deer or what. I know the deer are not coming up and knocking my potted seedlings down because I'm right where I can see out. So it must be birds. They are really pi**ing me off. I had a tomato seedling just starting to get big and a thick stalk on it and something broke it off at the dirt level...in the pot on my porch! Wth?! I'm very discouraged right now. I've got gnats on /inmy house plants and something's attacking my poor seedlings! :(

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Cutworms will saw them down at the soil line. Deer would eat them but tomato plants are toxic to wildlife so that's out. As to the critters on the other stuff,just use the dog flea & tick shampoo (Sergeants the green stuff) recipe,,a couple of tbsp. in a hand spray bottle. Spray the plants to keep knats and other bugs off. Can use it on your vegetables too.

4. poodledoodlemom

poodledoodlemom Seedling

Oh great! Thank you. I'll give it a try. :)

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I had a bird trying to nest on a shelf and she was doing damage to some mini roses I had there. So I figured I try my mom's old trick of putting fake flowers there. She just kicked them to the side and started on her nest again! :D
    I'd tear it down... and she'd rebuild it. I finally gave up and moved the mini roses but left the fake flowers... she never returned.
    It's a constant battle... from birds to wild hogs to bugs and viruses.
    Don't give up... fight back (and get used to it).
    :smt068

6. poodledoodlemom

poodledoodlemom Seedling

Lol! If I had to live on what I grow...I think I'd be pretty skinny. Ha ha!