I wish I had…..Oh wait!!…..I do.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Jerry Sullivan, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Few childhood things survive a series of house moves, 10 in all. Most things break or you just plain outgrow them, and usually you are not in charge of the packing. So the other day when I needed a reference, I did not have one, or so I thought. Until I said to myself, “I wish I had a book on trees.” My minds eye recalled a childhood book, an image of a small orange guide book with the title ’Trees.’ Even at the age of 9 I realized the importance of books. At the time I didn’t have too many, four to be exact but they were a fascinating source of information and they were mine. Each move till the last, 37 years ago, they have always had a place in the packing box. I opened my childhood book, saved from so long ago(1951), to page 121 and answered my question. The importance of books had survived a journey of 64 years and I still find them fascinating.

Jerry

IMG_5286.jpg

Jewell, donm, Cayuga Morning and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm glad you were able to find your old book. Some are just as helpful today as when they were written.

4. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Love those old reference books. They are still useful today.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I hang onto all my old books too Jerry. Some of them are very dog eared now but the information in them is invaluable. I always keep them close to hand. I have one called The Observer's Book of Birds' Eggs from 1954 (given to me on my fourth birthday!!) that I would never dream of parting with. It has life sized pictures of all the eggs and detailed descriptions. Whenever I find a discarded egg shell this little book tells me exactly what bird laid it. I have many others dating back fifty odd years and they are books I will always treasure.

Cayuga Morning likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

How awesome! Jerry, that's such a lovely story. I can just imagine the nostalgia wrapped up in your collection of books!

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I have saved a few books every time we moved. Brian has saved some, too. We like books and are already collecting books here. The Senior Center has a wall of books and you are welcome to take one whenever you go there. We each picked one last week. We can keep them or take them back. I think I will take mine back. It doesn't seem to be one that I would read again. But, I do have books that I've read more than once or twice.

dooley

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I have my childhood books preserved also Jerry. Love that others here do that also. They are very special to me and I get quite sentimental about them.

One of my absolute favourites is this Hamlyn bird guide from 1978.
    IMG_20140823_203405.jpg

It provides a guide to mostly British birds and other European birds but of course there were quite a few of those in the Irish countryside growing up.

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Jerry---I have that same tree book. It was in my house when I was growing up & I remember our family referring to it. (We had a tree farm). I have since inherited it.

Eileen--Your bird egg book sounds great!

Some books are treasures.