Ideas for students in the Greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse' started by GHTeacher, Nov 28, 2012.

1. GHTeacher

GHTeacher New Seed

I'm a fairly new teacher and I have a greenhouse to manage. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas to share with me to incorporate them into my lessons.
    I will begin planting in February with the students. Any ideas on some quick growing veggies or fruits that the students can plant and see them fully grown by April?

Thank you!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Newfpaws
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Try mixed lettuce greens for a really quick crop. How much room do you have, are you growing in the ground or in pots on benches, grow lights, auto water, hand water, hydroponics...???

Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower (which comes in some cool colors, now. Purple, chartreuse, cheddar) crops

I have some fairly cold hardy tomatoes that I have no idea what they are since they were a volunteer this year, and I saved the seeds, you are welcome to some of the seeds. They survived a few frosts in my high tunnel before they died. they were a small red plum shaped tomato, but not a cherry, just similar in size. Pm with your address if you are interested.

Herbs.

snapdragons and stock are grown in the greenhouses up here. but you need to grow those in a soil bed, not pots if you were to do them for a cut flower crop.

Spring bedding plants for sale? maybe a class fund raiser. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant etc.

Just a few ideas. I hope they help some.

Are you planning on starting your seeds before Feb? If not I would encourage you to do so. Since you have a short window there to work with.

4. GHTeacher

GHTeacher New Seed

We have an average sized greenhouse with tables. We will be hand watering the plants daily as a classroom activity. Hopefully the kids can transplant them also.

Any cutting and grafting ideas?

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cuttings are a great project.

Geraniums are a really easy one. Let them "harden" off for a day after taking the cutting (the stem needs to be calloused over for a day or two). It will work better.

Chrysanthemums.

houseplants are always a success, too.

Experiment with different plants to see what works for them. And try to keep them "sterile" no dirt! use only soiless potting mix. Wash your hands. if any of them smoke they can and most likely will transmit tobacco mosaic virus to the geraniums and kill them, from their contaminated hands.

I have taken cuttings of hibiscus, which were a little harder just because the stem has to be at just the right stage. Not too green, not to old.

Herbs such as rosemary and sage are easy to root.

I have not done any grafting, look at youtube for great instructional videos on it.

6. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have done a bit of grafting on trees just as an experiment for myself. But working with that short time span, I a m not sure you would have time to see if it worked. You can`t graft garden vegetables that I have ever heard of. Grapes peaches and other fruit trees, yes, and even some berries are woody enough to graft. Trying to think of others.
    Teaching hand pollination would be good.
    How old are these kids you will be teaching?
    Tomato plants are easy to take cuttings from and start new plants. Thats how I get my fall tomato plants.
    Hey ! You are in Texas? Me too. I am in NE Texas. What area are you in ?