If You Don't Like The Weather...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Droopy, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

... just wait half an hour. That's what we say here. Coastal weather changes quickly. I'll show you what I mean.

This photo was taken this morning:

[​IMG]

We had to go into town a couple of hours later. This is what we drove through:

[​IMG]

It has eased up a bit, but it's still snowing. I went out to measure the depth half an hour ago:

[​IMG]

We went from 2 cm (0,8 inches) to 19 cm (7,5 inches) very quickly. We haven't had much snow this winter, but we don't have to get it all in one day, do we?

Jewell, eileen and eclecticgarden like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I know just what you mean Droopy. We had a bright early morning with frost. It soon changed though and now it's snowing heavily and doesn't look as though it's going to stop any time soon. At least my bulbs will now get some protection.

Droopy likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Dramatic. No two ways about it.
    Those piccies are a good way to demonstrate your point. How did the ponies fare?

Droopy likes this.
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That was a dramatic change! It's not normal around here but has happened occasionally. Quite a lot of snow is predicted over the next 4 days in our area.

Droopy likes this.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

My oh my... i would have "liked" your post... but I don't. eewww! I am most thankful to not have much snow so far this year. I have been far too busy taking care of my inlaws to have time to deal with snow... even if I did get hired to shovel sidewalks and porches for the season... I have only had to go out once so far. yay! I hope your snow doesn't keep you too under the weather too long

Droopy likes this.
  7. Droopy

It's still snowing, and we're shoveling and shoveling. It's going to snow for another two or three days. Then the weather will turn milder and we'll get rain. Normal winter weather for us. :p

Yes, Eileen, the good thing is the plants are getting some insulation.

The ponies are doing fine, Sjoerd. They've got their rugs on and are out in the fields working hard to dig up some grass underneath the snow. We feed them hay as normal of course, but they like to pretend they're working for their food. :snicker:

2ofus, I would think you'd have quick changes in the weather all the time where you live. The mountains here are even more unpredictable than the coast.

carolyn, I wish you no snow for the rest of your winter! I think we're going to get your share as well as our own overdue share this time.

8. kate

kate In Flower

Horrid two days ago.

jan172016.jpg
    K

Droopy and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

You know, Nashville has a similar saying about our weather....if you don't like the weather, wait half an hour.

It really is amazing to me how quickly our weather can change. I've posted about it before.

Droopy, looks like you were driving through a blizzard!!!

Droopy likes this.
  10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Over the last 3 days we've had about 5 inches of snow fall on top of what we already had. Today is 20% chance of more snow and tonight and tomorrow is 70%. It's a job to keep the driveway and walkways clear (Mike does that :smt049) but we really need the moisture the snow brings. With all the fir trees and undergrowth it lowers the fire danger until mid summer. Nasty to drive in though.

Droopy likes this.
  11. kate

kate In Flower

Sat here waiting for the rain to stop. Just wondering about the people who work, could they wait half - hour, they could get the sack.
    K

Droopy likes this.
  12. Droopy

Ronni, it wasn't a blizzard, just very dense snowing and a little bit of wind.

2ofus, I'm glad the snow also falls where it's needed even though it is hard when it's falling.

kate, I'd think the employers would want their people to arrive safely and not take chances. Weather is weather, nothing you can do about it.