Illustrating out the landscape of dreams!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by S-H, May 6, 2016.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Do any of your ever have reoccurring dreams? No, I'm not talking about nightmares, (as that's a completely different subject) - What I mean is, do you always see a certain type of a background, or a skyline, or a landscape, in your dreams? I mean that regardless of the dream's situation and/or theme, whenever outside or looking through a window - Do you often see the same landscape over and over again? Like the dreams are always about different things, but your location is always in one place...

Maybe I am extremely unimaginative? Because this seems to be happening to me a lot. As my mind (since the last 3+ decades) seems to keep on showing me just 2 or maybe 3 different types of background on the horizon.

Anyway, few days ago I got the idea - Of why not draw it out? So I can share it with people! This way others too can see what I see in my dreams! Of course, the main issue why everyone can't do this often, is that majority of the people are not very good when it comes to drawing. Yes they can get the point across, but when it comes to accuracy, well...

Actually, truth be told, I too am not an artist, so I also will fall flat on my face (in the most embarrassing way) if someone asked me to make a painting of the images that I always see in my dreams.

However, I do know how to make 3D drawings AutoCAD! So I think this is how I'll share what's always in my dreams! :cool: Of course, it so happens that I only get to see a semi industrial arid coastline (something straight out of a post apocalyptic movie, but still in running order). So that I guess can't be helped - Because to change it (to make it look more visually pleasing), would mean deviating from the actual idea...

Anyway, so far this is what I have drawn, as I often see refineries, oil wells, shipyards, as well as construction cranes rising out of the ocean, and that too at dusk, (while the coastline itself is always arid). Maybe someone from somewhere will later help me understand why I keep seeing only this type of a background in all of my dreams - But for now let's get it out of my head!
    :dizzy:

Anyhow this is what I have been able to draw up till now... Just one of the small props I see in the background.

Oil rig 1.jpg

Oil well in AutoCAD 1.jpg

Oil well in AutoCAD 2.jpg

Oil well in AutoCAD 3.jpg

Oil well in AutoCAD 4.jpg

Oil well in AutoCAD 5.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Frank and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. S-H
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Now creating an oil refinery too, but so far I have only made the flare column. However making a 3D flame in AutoCAD was not easy, well, easy now, once I learned how to do it myself, (but there really doesn't seem to any helpful information out there on the web about drawing flames in 3D)...

Refinery in AutoCAD 1.jpg

Refinery in AutoCAD 2.jpg

Refinery in AutoCAD 3.jpg

Refinery in AutoCAD 4.jpg

Philip Nulty and Frank like this.
  4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

S-H when virtual reality becomes mainstream you will be able to actually walk around in the landscape you have designed :)

S-H and Philip Nulty like this.
  5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

That's not a bad idea at all Frank! Actually, come to think of it, I can do that right now - All I need (like large screen smartphone) is already with me!

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have been paying attention to my dreams lately and I never see a background other than where I am in the dream.....inside a building, walking from one place to another on a sidewalk, but none of it is repeated and none of it is in the distance.
    I am a lucid dreamer, knowing I am dreaming and being able to change the story/people/places of a dream is pretty cool sometimes.

Is a Pump Jack what you see in your dreams? We have them all over the place in west Texas but I have never seen one in my dreams. Going the amateur route of dream interpreting I would say you see those things because they are prevalent in the background of your waking life.

S-H likes this.
  7. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I too am a lucid dreamer (also sometimes called an active dreamer). I think only 5 to 10 out of a 100 people are like that... Anyway, what I can't always change is the background of my dreams. I more or less see the same things I normally do in my everyday life. if I am indoors, then that's the way it is. But if I look out the window, or walk outside - Then this sort of stuff is all I see in the background, (at the horizon)...

Basically, it's always a mixture of seeing dimply lit oil refinery columns, shipyard with huge half completed ships (the silhouettes of which I can see in the orange and yellow color sodium lights). Oil wells and jack pumps, and sometimes drilling towers too. I also see Earth moving equipment (like giant bulldozers and diggers with their flashing lights) - And sometimes I also see places like abandoned airfields (with broken up plates discarded everywhere). And in the far away distance it's always the ocean, with very tall construction cranes rising out of the sea. 90% of the times it is always dusk, and the ground (if not paved, is always a sandy desert, until it meets the ocean that is).

So in order to understand it all, I think I should first make a real representation of it, so I can share it accurately with others. Thankfully, I can do that with CAD! :D

Next tower.jpg

Getting somewhere.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yes, now I am getting somewhere with this... I know, looks real, but it actually doesn't exist anywhere (except for in my dreams). :D

Refinery.jpg

Oil refinery.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2016