I'm Not The Only One Who Wanted Giant Garden Chess

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by azw1879, Feb 2, 2007.

1. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

A family member shouted me through to catch the tail-end of a programme 'Cash In The Attic'(?) in which a couple (much older than myself) wanted to sell items in order to buy a Giant Chess Set for their garden.

Keen chess players, they wished to purchase this set, I guess, for the novelty and fun aspect of it, as well as for their fellow chess players during the summer.

Indeed, they made enough money to obtain such a set, although not the 3'- 6' sizes that are available, more 1'- 1.5'.

Still, looked pretty good on their chessboard patio.

Ah, well...lucky for some :(

One day, maybe, one day :rolleyes:

C.J.

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Lucky people, I wish I'd caught that episode. Are you any closer to realising one of your dreams C.J?

You know I never thought about what it would be like to play giant chess. When you think about it you would not have the overhead perspective, I wonder how that would cloud your strategies?

4. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I can't play mini chess let alone giant chess!!

5. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

If everyone would not get tired of standing around, it would be fun to use dressed up people as chess pieces.

Advertisement
  6. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Unfortunately, the Giant Chess is bottom of the list of priorities at the moment, as 2007 has begun with a lot of 'obstacles', delaying any progress.

However, I don't know if I'll be making the chessboard before purchasing chess pieces, or purchasing the chess pieces before I've made the chessboard :-?

I like the idea of a raised decking area to view the game in progress, both for spectators and the players themselves, but that is a long way off, if ever :(

I'll keep you informed of any progress ;)

C.J.

7. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Sorry to be a bore about this project, but here is where you'll get an image of what I have in mind.

http://www.giantchess.com/

If you click on Products, then the 36" Giant Chess, you'll see several images, click on the one with the house in the background and the chess set in the foreground on the grass to for an enlargement.

This is the best image I've found that shows the 'bigger picture' rather than just a close-up of the chess set itself.

My garden is smaller and I'd have other items, structures, planting, etc., but I hope this helps you visualise what I'm working towards.

C.J. :-D