I'm so tired of this odd weather

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by 2ofus, May 11, 2015.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

We didn't get much snow this winter but we are having the coldest, wettest weather this spring than we've had in the 18 years we've lived here. The oddest is we are having some daytime temperatures in the 60'sF (15.5C) but it gets down as cold as 19F (7.2C). All this along with lots of rain. My poor plants don't know whether to wake up or not.
    Okay, that's off my chest and now, I will apologize to all that are having so much worse weather.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The weather can definitely put us out of sorts can't it? I've been moaning about our weather this spring too. My garden has been hit by gales, hail, snow, rain but very few sunny days. Many of my plants have been flattened and broken and look so sad compared to years gone by. The temperatures have seldom made it into double figures but it's bound to improve soon isn't it? :fingerscrossed:

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hmmmm, I guess all the rain dances done down here to get us rain this spring meant that we messed up the weather patterns for others......sorry about that. Didn't realize that rain dances had such a wide ranging affect. o_O
    Colorado had a good snow storm on Mother's Day, some places got as much as 9 inches. Come to think of it, the year I lived in Evergreen, Co. we had snow on Mother's Day too.

5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have bought plants and I have been bringing them in and out of the garage ...tonight we are suppose to be down in the 30's. We will have some beautiful days and then we take some dips. I feel blessed after hearing about all of the tornadoes and bad weather all over the U.S. I have decided never to order any plants through the mail again because they send them too early....we have a place in Michigan that is just sending them now which is great and the other places sent them 6-8 weeks ago....Michigan is closer to our weather so they understand and I will only order from them from now on. Most people in our area don't even plant gardens until Memorial weekend.:)

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

We don't plant the tender vegetables until the first of June. Perennials I try to plant as soon as I harden them off. They do better for me in the ground even if it is still cold.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Our problem isn't cold, it's wet! I haven't been able to get into the big vegetable gardens for almost 10 days, and the grass is moving in at a good pace. I've managed to harvest some herbs and lettuces, but tromping around in the paths is just compacting the soil, so I stay out as much as possible. Don't ask about the height of the backyard grass--I may have to borrow a goat!
    Texas does not have a monsoon season, or at least not until this year. We are way over average for rainfall, and there is no end in sight. I'm looking up Noah's boat building plans, and trying to figure out what a "cubit" is.

8. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

9. Riccur

Riccur Seedling

It has been nice a cool where I am, but I have already put the ac in my bedroom window. The other night there was a twenty degree difference between where I am and about 50 miles away where I work. Talk about a drastic change in temperatures!

10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

More rain is predicted for the next 7 days, from 30% to 80%. However, I do feel fortunate that it is only rain, no flooding or snow. My heart goes out to those that have been hit with tornados and earthquakes.

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Our weather has been so bizarre! My poor little plants don't know how to act! A few of my peonies look wonderful, the others are full of dead, brown baby buds :( The white lilacs were amazing and the purple haven't done a thing. My snowball bush is just now opening! I have a few iris up and blooming but not as many as I had hoped.