In and Out, hardening off seedlings

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Mar 20, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We have five trays of seedlings (herbs and vegetables) hardening off outside the barn. I've had to bring all the trays into the barn twice due to cold nights or threat of heavy rains. I'm afraid the seedlings are going to get motion sickness!
    I think this in-and-out process is going to prolong the hardening off. What do you think?

donm and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I honestly don't know but I think it would depend on how long they had to stay in the barn during normal daytime hours.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

It will definitely knock their little GPS out of kilter. Best is if the introduction to the cold comes gradually, increasing by an hour a day. Then after a week or two they are ready for the big time. Here in New England, however, we are having re-runs of winter. Hardening off will take place in late June:confused: as it is still 23.87 inches till spring.......mmmmmore ccccold ccccomming:eek: No seed in its right mind would even consider growing........ Oh @*^%$^#, great, now it's snowing:(. (frozen expletive)

Jerrrrrry

5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I can hear you all the way down here Jerry. I'd be screaming to.:smt088

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well, I left the trays in the garden cart, but parked the cart outside so if the rain becomes torrential, I can just grab the cart and put it back in the barn. They had a half-day in shade, two full days outside with overcast skies, and two days of sunshine before the rains came.
    At least now I don't have to worry about nighttime temperatures--consistently in the high 50's.
    Jerry, I'm sorry I had to mention that . . . .

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Yesterday spring was 23.875 inches away, today it is 25.125 and climbing. I may have found the problem.....every time I spread seeds on the snow for the ground birds, it snows and covers them up. Maybe I should give the ground birds gift cards to a big box store. Let them do their own shopping......they can visit the birds that fly around the store all winter.:)

Jerry

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    Cayuga Morning likes this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

MG--I live a few towns away from Jerry and while I haven't measured the depth of our snow, it is probably about the same as his.

I have started 2 trays of vegie seedlings under lights in the basement. They are babies, just 1/2" high with their 1st set of leaves. I look forward to the 'in & out' process of hardening them off!

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Marling--I do the hardening-off a bit different than many folks.
    When I begin, I just set them out in the morning and leave them unless frost is predicted for the night. If frost is forecast I bring them in overnight and then they go right back out first thing in the morning.
    After they have been hardening-off for two weeks, I never bring them in again.

Good luck with yours.