In Flight Collision....Ruby Throated Hummingbirds

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Sherry8, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I was standing right off of the patio steps coming out the back door...I could see 3 Ruby Throated Hummingbirds chasing one another...I was admiring how beautiful they were and all of a sudden 2 of them hit the window and fell to the ground....I panicked and my heart sank....to see 2 of those beautifull little hummingbirds on the cement was not a very nice sight to see...I called to my husband and we watched them a minute before lifting them off of the cement. One definitely was stunned and he layed limp in my husbands hand....

[​IMG]
    Ruby Throated Hummingbirds... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )
    I thought for sure that the one on the right would not make it...

[​IMG]
    The one on the right perked up and we knew he would be alright...

[​IMG]
    Ruby Throated Hummingbirds.... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

[​IMG]
    What a wonderful experience to hold them in our hands ...they are more beautiful in person than a photo can show...so tiny and delicate and you think to yourself, how in the world can these little delicate birds fly so far to come to Wisconsin and then travel back home...
    Seconds later...one of the little beauties flew off into the lilac bushes, it was a relief to know one was alright. He was the one that layed so limp in my husbands hands when he first picked them up...he was stunned by the hit on the window..

[​IMG]
    Ruby Throated Hummingbird ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden ) This one has to be watched...I called a bird rehab person and she only had a message on her answering machine so I went into facebook, a group called Hummingbirds anonymous to ask how to take care of him until I could get him to the lady on Monday...I got some good advice on how to care for him. She recommended covering the container so he would relax and not be scared...

[​IMG]
    Ruby Throated Hummingbird... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )
    He can flap his wings but can't fly yet...I think it is his back end that may have been damaged. He is drinking and going potty so things were working just fine.

[​IMG]
    Ruby Throated Hummingbird... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

I just looked in the container this morning and he is still alive, I have to wait until a reasonable hour to call and get him some help...I will keep you informed on his progress...I am hoping he will be able to fly once I take the cover off of the container..Keep your fingers crossed and say a little prayer for him please...

eileen, Sjoerd, Henry Johnson and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a magnificent posting. I am troubled that the one little girl cannot yet fly.
    Please do keep us posted...I am a bit worried.
    I just sat here with an open mouth as I viewed the pics and read the text.
    Fingers crossed for the little bird.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Working at a company with many large glass windows and glass enclosed corridors would often lead to the inevitable, a bird meeting with a large glass window. Occasionally I would get a call about a bird that had hit the window. The live ones I could put into a shoe box(dark, quite place) and into an empty filing cabinet. I would put my car keys with the box so I would not forget it and go home. I would let the birds go at the end of the day.

Birds on the ground or flying low would see a reflection of the sky in the window and head for it. Many birds realize the error and avoid the window, the lucky ones survived with a concussion, the unlucky ones were buried. The largest encounter was a Canada Goose.....neither the 5x8 foot window or the goose survived. Both were buried. :-(

Calls for injured birds or orphaned plants left at my office door. There were always surprises.

Good luck with your hummers. Great pictures!.

Jerry

5. joshpeckney

joshpeckney New Seed

Great pictures! These birds are truly adorable creatures. I hope they get well soon, so you can release them back in their natural habitat. Anyway, great job helping those poor birdies. I admire your compassion.

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

You are very luck to help them. They are even more lucky that you were there. Sometimes they just need that little bit of protection until they recover. Otherwise, they may be dinner for a cat, hanging out on the ground.

You are doing well. Offering security and food. Hopefully the injury is light and it recovers quickly.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

They were lucky that you were watching at the time and were there to help them. I was glad to hear the one that was so limp was just stunned and hope the injured one will recover. Please keep us informed.

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Thank you everyone...I dropped her (or a juvenile) off and they said she would be getting an x ray. I filled out a paper and I marked it so they would notify me of her progress. I had never heard of this group before and it is right in the same town, just on the other side . It is called AVES Wildlife Alliance and I checked it out on facebook and they help many birds and animals. A wonderful group to help our wildlife.............. :-D

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thank goodness you were around when the accident happened. The poor little things could have ended up being attacked by a cat or bigger birds if you hadn't helped them out. Fingers crossed the second hummer recovers well and will soon be flying free again.

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I to will be waiting for an update. That is great info and I will pray that the little hummer makes a full recovery. That must have been quite the shock for you to see those two just lying there. I know I would have been heart sick. Ours chase each other all the time and one wonders how they never get hurt. But I guess they can and do injure themselves. So glad you where there to help them out. :stew1:

11. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

So great that you were able to help them out. Sure hope the little one recovers. But if not, you know you did everything possible to help her out. Fingers crossed!

12. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I am sorry to report but the little Miss Ruby Throated Hummingbird had too much damage after hitting the window. She had to be put down. The rehabber said she would never of been able to fly again. :'(

[​IMG]
    Miss Ruby Throated Hummingbird... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

13. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

so sad.... you/they gave it a good try. :(

14. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

:'( :'( :'( So sad.

15. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

It's always good to try. Who else would??? I THANK YOU for your efforts for your effort to help Gods lil creatures. I would have done the same thing.

16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

So sad. Ach, but it sounds like the only option. Still......I miss each loss.
    Thanks for your part in trying to help the littler hummer.