In my garden.....June

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sherry8, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I love iris but I lost most of mine a few years back because of the iris borer and it was just too wet that year...Here is a picture of the ones that made it.... May 29, 2015 120 (2).jpg May 27, 2015 091 (2).jpg
    [​IMG]
    Iris... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Siberian Iris..Butter & Sugar ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Flag Iris... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

May 29, 2015 075 (2).jpg

Here is June 11, 2015 111 (2).jpg a picture of my lilac tree, I thought it was so beautiful this year...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
  2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Very pretty Iris' Sherry. I lost a bunch a few years ago to iris borers too ... such disgusting little creatures! At least they left you some beautiful ones. I love that purple one ... almost looks like a double. My Ivory Silk Lilac's haven't bloomed yet, but the buds ar coming :)

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Gorgeous Sherry. I love your pink one & the deep purple! I have struggled with iris borer too. This year my irises are doing well so far. We shall see as the season progresses. There is supposed to be a biologic control that helps. Some kind of nematode. If I find out a source do you want me to let you know?

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Your iris are so pretty. I love the deep purple double one. The lilac tree is gorgeous!

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree your lilac tree is beautiful and must attract lots of bees and butterflies. I'm a tad jealous of all you gorgeous iris. I've never seen such a pretty pale pink one before and I'm in love with yours.

6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Thank you Netty...yes, those iris borers are gross

Cayuga, thank you....No, I haven't checked into anything for them. I have so many toads, etc. I hate to take the chance of putting anything in my flower beds. Enough chemical sprays drift into my yard from the neighbors.

2ofus...thank you. You should smell the lilac tree, it is just heavenly. It is nice that it blooms after our other lilacs are done so we have a wonderful smell for quite a few weeks.

Thank you Eileen...I just bought this particular pink one years ago. I had two but it had to be in with the other ones I had to toss.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2015
  7. kate

kate In Flower

Love the colors Sherry but I was drawn to pic 6...lovely though all of them. I had to Google Iris Borer because I never heard of it before.

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Hi Kate....thank you...do you have iris and have just been lucky not to come across the iris borer? I had iris many years without them and then I think the weather plays a good part of it...being too wet does not help things

9. kate

kate In Flower

Never do...no I forgot, I bought an electric blue Iris from my local garden center year before last. I have a mania for recycling old plants and that Iris went with it...:crying::crying:
    K
    iris2014.jpg

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sherry those are beautiful. I hate those Iris bores. They can really do some major damage. Your tree is beautiful. I see them around our area and was wondering what they where because they look so unusual. Not like my lilac trees. Does it smell good?

11. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Thanks for sharing your beautiful blooms!! I can almost smell the Iris! Lovely Lilac tree, they have been blooming really good here this year also.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a lovely group of irises.
    The irises here are already finished., sadly....that is why seeing yours is so nice.
    You really do have a nice variety of flowers that you show from time to time.

13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Tooty.....yes, the tree has a wonderful smell. It was really nice walking out on the patio when it was in full bloom. It still has some blooms now but the rest are gone until next year. We have what you call a clump lilac tree, most of what I see around here are the taller trees. Thank you

Kate...I love the blue color, I have never had one of those... Thank you...

Sjoerd...thank you....I hope you are still enjoying your wonderful strawberries...