Incrediball Hydrangea New Plant Problems

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by mijurdzy, Jul 25, 2014.

1. mijurdzy

mijurdzy New Seed

I purchased 2 Incrediball Hydrangea plants 2 1/2 weeks ago. We have clay soil, so I added in some topsoil as well as some cow manure compost when I planted. The plants are in partial sun, partial shade and I have been watering every morning religiously since it is July and 80?s here in Michigan (zone 5-6). Over the 2 weeks I have noticed leaves spotting and browning, some drying out and dying completely. The actual flowering balls that existed when I purchased the plants, which was about 3 each, are starting to turn yellowish green and look lifeless, and I have not seen any new growth whatsoever. This is my first time gardening so any advice would be appreciated. I thought hydrangea were a foolproof plant for my first time, and I also expected the plants to start looking bigger and brighter much faster than they are. How long should it take for new blooms? Should I be worried about the brown leaves? I’ve also noticed ants on the lower leaves, but don’t see any other bugs or mildew. Not sure if they are diseased or if I just need to be more patient. Thank you for any advice!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from mijurdzy's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from mijurdzy's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome to GardenStew!!

Any plant newly in the ground takes sometimes up to a month to become established. They do not put out any new growth above the ground until the roots are settled in and growing.

The blooms will die off naturally but in this case you might want to go ahead and cut them off. The roots are having to keep them alive and get themselves established so the plant is most likely stressed from that.

I can't grow Hydrangeas down here, way too hot and dry, but spotting leaves is sometimes caused by watering from above the plant. Water sitting on leaves when the sun hits it can scorch them. Make sure the water goes directly to the roots not the leaves.

Frank likes this.
  4. mijurdzy

mijurdzy New Seed

Thank you for the comment. How often do you recommend I water them in the beginning, and for how long?

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

My answer for a new plant that is failing and you have disqualified all the problems that you have , is to water, water, water. I see that most new plants that my friends plant die from lack of water. New plants need it.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Is there good drainage where it is planted and does it get morning or afternoon sun? Afternoon sun can sometimes be too strong for certain varieties of Hydrangea.
    And they do not like to sit in soggy soil, typically in a container plant you can check the wetness of the soil by sticking your finger down in the soil, in the ground you might want to check it that way to make sure the plant actually needs watering.

Air temperature doesn't affect the plant roots, it's the lack of moisture in the air and soil that will dry them out. That's why it's important to water plants even in the winter, if you have a long dry spell (no snow or rain) the roots will dry out and die.

Not sure about how much water, since there is no way to measure from a hose but if the water starts puddling on top of the soil, that's too much.

Frank likes this.
  7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Like Barb said water, water, water. The variety of hydrengea you have, Hydrangea macrophylla (Bigleaf Hydrangea, Mophead Hydrangea), tends to wilt with any sun (leaves and flowers) for me and drives me crazy. My mother in law's were big and beautiful in full shade. Mine only gets sun through mid day. Hopefully with age and water yours will "toughen up" and develop a strong root system to support the big leaves and flowers. Remember nurseries give them lots of fertilizer, water and some shade to get them to selling size. After 6 years mine has wilted less this year than previously.

Frank likes this.
  8. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I was going to add my two cents about the sun...it may be too strong...the hydrangeas here in Savannah are under the huge trees and grow to enormous sizes...it's just way to hot for them otherwise!!

9. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Just one quick correction Hydrangea Incrediball is a selection of Hydrangea arborescens rather than H. macrophylla.
    It is a deciduous one and maybe it is getting ready to settle down for the winter. It flowers on new wood, so I would not expect it to begin producing that until Spring.
    The hotter the area the more shade it would need.