Injured Moth?

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by JarateKid, Aug 17, 2016.

1. JarateKid

JarateKid New Seed

Hi there! I'm new here so I'm sorry if it's stupid to post this question here. So I found a little moth on the concrete of my porch where he could be easily stepped on so I decided to nudge him onto my hand to move him out of the way. He didn't fly away and he was having difficulty climbing into my hand, which was weird. Upon closer inspection I saw some goop leaking out of his backside and it was sticking to the rough texture of the concrete, making it hard for him to walk. I'm pretty sure it wasn't poop but I could be wrong. I gently pulled most of it off of him and set him on a smooth leaf in my garden, he's not getting caught on anything there but he's not flying or moving much. Do you think he'll be ok or is there anything I can do for him? Thanks!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. pilonm
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. LIcenter
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Pretty much it's time to let nature take it's course. Nothing you can do and anything you tried might cause pain (don't know if they feel pain but I wouldn't want to think if they did I had caused it).

Whenever I find a dying creature in the garden I wish it a safe journey to it's next life and ask nature to prevent pain. That's all you can do.

Frank and Islandlife like this.
  4. JarateKid

JarateKid New Seed

Yeah, I suspected as much. I hope he'll have a good night whether he dies or lives to see another day :'/ he was pretty cute though! Thanks for the response!

5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Considering the alternative to spraying is hundreds of babies born with severe brain damage and head deformities, Adults who are bitten by the Zika carrying mosquitoes have come down with meningoencephalitis, or swelling of the membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord. And a man in Puerto Rico who died in February from severe thrombocytopenia, which causes a low blood platelet count that can lead to internal bleeding. And another man in Utah died from a Zika related illness in June.

This is not from necessarily the fault of the scientists but by over zealous local health officials, some of whom didn't follow the proper warning sequence so the honeybee owners could cover their nests. And from what I have read honeybees are not the only or even the best pollinators working to keep food on our tables.

Islandlife likes this.