Is it to late in the season to transplant roses

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by anniem, Apr 10, 2008.

1. anniem

anniem New Seed

Hi! I am anniem, live here in Imperial, MO Jefferson County, just south of St. Louis.
    I bought roses last fall, got sick, so my husband planted them in a flower bed. Now I want to move them to their home, but not sure if it is OK to do so. The leaves are starting to to come out. Thank you much

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Late fall or early Spring are the ideal times to transplant roses. Just when they are breaking dormancy in the early spring is a good time and it sounds like that is the stage yours are in. Water them really well for a few days, about a week. Then dig them up and move them. You will want to prune them back after moving, follow the directions for your type of rose as to how much pruning to do.

Welcome to the Stew from north Texas.
    I just moved this topic to the Trees, Shrubs and Roses forum so it will get more attention there.
    How about posting an introduction of yourself in the Welcome to GardenStew forum so we can all get to know each other.

4. anniem

anniem New Seed

Thank you Toni

Thank you for your help, I am going to transplant them. It has rained so much here that it is hard to do anything. Anniem :-D