Is my cabbage bolting?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, May 22, 2016.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

This is bad? I don't think it's good.....Isn't it too early to bolt.....if that is what it is doing. It's only May. What does the inside of a cabbage look like? The ones in aisle 20 are solid as a rock and I have know clue as to how the inside formed. Should I cut it off? Will this mean no salad this summer? :-(

IMG_0668a.jpg

Jerry

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yep, It is how you get the seeds for the next crop.. I didn't think of that when you "planted" the old head. Evidently it is a biennial? I have never had it flower the first year nor have I ever kept it for a 2nd year.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Thank you for the info. Cabbage seeds...Oooo.K. If the plant gets enough sun....highly unlikely but we shall see. I did find another cabbage, so the prospect of salad is still on. I just planted it today. However, it too lived on aisle 20 and maybe the same variety. If the first cabbage is any indication, I can again expects more bolts.....nuts, more nuts!!

Jerry

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    carolyn likes this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I suspect that these plantlets are going to bloom.
    Remembering that a plant's purpose in life is to reproduce itself...It didn't work with that thing you planted, so these little plantlets may being trying to do what it's parent couldn't do--a sort of last ditch survival thing.

Whatever is going on, those little plants do not seem to be forming heads.

Good luck with this, mate.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

A bunch of cabbage without heads......Sleepy Hollow garden?? Tended by Ichabod Crane? Or, the wizard of Oz, if I only had a head. Oh well, after all, it is a flower garden. Time for dried poo perhaps.

Stay tuned for more episodes of the gripping drama "The Headless Garden" :)

Jerry

carolyn and Frank like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, it your little plants bloom, I suspect that that the flowers could be yellow, and that colour in combination with the leaf colour would be quite lovely.

I am not clear what you mean by saying that it could be time for dried poo.
    If the plants have bloom buds....fertilizer will not reverse this.

It was an interesting experiment and I shall remained glued to your thread to see how this will end.

8. Red Audrey

Red Audrey New Seed

I wonder if you can just cut off the flower and treat it as a cut and come again leaf cabbage and not worry about it forming a head. ?