It starts again,,groundhog did not see his shadow!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by mart, Feb 7, 2016.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

And you know what that means. An early spring. So we got the garden tilled and off I went to the garden center. Bought 8 bunches of onions, two six packs of cabbage, one each broccoli and cauliflower and two brussel sprouts. Hope I can get some sprouts this year. Previous years have been too wet to plant until the Texas heat hits. Then its too late. Anyone else getting to start early?

2. Loading...

3. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

5 weeks and I get to plant peas........................

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

My greenhouse is up and running... that is as close to spring as it gets here for another few months.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Our groundhog, Wiarton Willy, called for 6 more weeks of winter. You would never believe that with the weather we have been having here! This morning on my dog walk, it was sunny and 1°C, and the birds were singing! While I have been itching to get out into the gardens, I know it is still much too early. I have sorted all my seeds though, and I am ready to go!

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Peas, spinach, and turnips are planted, today the onions go in, and yesterday I transplanted parsley and oregano into bigger cells. The broccoli will get planted tomorrow, but I have to make two more cages for it (bunnies, y'know).

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Still have not planted the first seeds yet, Jane. I am planning though. Things are so moist here that I couldn´t make the beds ready if I wanted to.

The chips for the paths must still come and the free compost in march, so in my neck of the woods...planting is tantalizing close, but still just out of reach.

I can sometimes be quite jealous of your climatic conditions there.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, I wish! Today we've got 7°C or 44°F. In two days' time we'll have -4°C or 24°F. The freeze is predicted to last mid-way into March. Enjoy your early spring. We'll get spring too eventually.

9. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It will be down into the lower teens this week and only 10 degrees on Saturday. Some snow flurries today and tomorrow. I don't have an area for gardening. Last year I had a shelf in front of the window with half gallon size pots for some herbs. I do visit the farmer's market twice a week when it starts here sometime in May. dooley

10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I don't want to be disappointed, so I'll wait awhile before planting. I would like to get potatoes in the ground earlier, but my supplier gets his in late. He only carries two types and in our location, it's difficult unless we order, which is more expensive. I would like to try Russet.

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Russets are our favorites also, although Yukon gold and red potatoes are grown here also.

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Growingpains, do you have a source of organic potatoes at a grocery? If so, those potatoes haven't been treated with an anti-sprout chemical, and will sprout for you. They will be more expensive than the non-organic ones, but still cheaper than ordering!

carolyn likes this.
  13. mart

mart Strong Ash

I am going with the Red La Soda and Kennebec again. I was not pleased with the Yukon Gold production last year. And honestly did not like the taste as well as the Kennebec. Might plant some Burbank Russet if I can find them. They do well in our area.

14. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Marlin, thanks for the idea of buying organic potatoes from a grocery store. I think I will.