It's Peony time!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Netty, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Peony time is my absolute favorite time of the year! I was able to extend Peony season by a few weeks by adding a few different sorts to my garden. The first to bloom was one that belonged to a friend, a tree Peony, cultivar unknown, but what a beauty!
    [​IMG]
    Another unknown, but gorgeous bloomer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Later, comes my Mother's Peony. I knew it would be a good show early on ... look at all the buds!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one is 'Angel Cheeks'
    [​IMG]
    'Duchesse De Nemours'
    [​IMG]
    'Festiva Maxima'
    [​IMG]
    Another unknown. This one looks yellow in real life ... couldn't seem to capture the true color
    [​IMG]
    A friend gave me this Peony years ago because she couldn't get it to bloom
    [​IMG]
    I wish Peony season lasted all year :)
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Netty
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Netty
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Beautiful blooms. My one little Peony had 5 blooms on it but the rain beat it down unmercifully and they didn't recover.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh, I miss having peonies! Yours are stunning, Netty, and I do thank you for sharing them with us. The scents must be heavenly!

5. Netty

Oh they are! It smells lovely out there, in every corner of the yard :)

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

OO the 'Duchesse De Nemours' is absolutely gorgeous.:D My peonies haven't burst into flower yet but there are buds on them. None are as beautiful as yours are though Netty.

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Beautiful pictures Netty!

8. kate

kate In Flower

I love Peonies but struggle growing them, I must have tried now for ten years. First time the bud only reached pinhead size and went, the plant never returned.

Every year I try again with no luck. I moved towns not because of Peonies.......:D but wondered if my luck would change. I planted a brand new one four years ago in the lawn, council came to mow the lawn and mowed over the growing plant..............:eek:

On the fourth year its in bud but its been in bud for weeks. I grow Sarah Bernhardt, a double pink.

Yours are awesome Netty!!....:setc_005::setf_016:

K

9. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

Hi Netty...i don't know how i could have missed this post...your peonies are spectacular! I love those buds:setf_016:

10. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

I finnaly got 4 bare root peonies from walmart. They got their new spring bulbs, roots & tubers in. They are all mostly $5.00 not too bad. I am getting their new homes ready now. I am so excited. I know I won't get any blooms this year, but can work on growing big healthy bushes. My mom had a row of about 12 peony bushes of different colors on our farm in minnesota. Back then we weren't worried about the name or cultivar of the peony. Or where we got them from. They were just peonies. A bush type plant that had big beautiful fragrant flowers. To me, that is still the most important thing. So remember the important part about gardening, is to enjoy the plants. Happy gardening everyone.

Frank, Cayuga Morning and Netty like this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Bosque, I am really looking forward to peony season too. My parents had a row of them between our yard & the neighbors. This was in a burb of Buffalo, NY, so you know they had to be HARDY peonies. Oh the smell of those peonies!! I guess aroma would be a better word.

I was checking my latest peony to see how it was fairing this winter. It is the new kind, an intersectional. I know you are not into names & types of peonies, but I am really plugging for this one. I saw a couple of buds so I know it is still alive.:)

BTW Netty's are GORGEOUS, aren't they? Maybe she will see this thread & treat us to more photos this May-June!!

12. Netty

Thanks Cayuga! Peony time is my favorite time, and you can bet I'll share my blooms again this year :)

Cayuga Morning likes this.