Javelina Food!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by cactusflower, May 27, 2008.

1. cactusflower

cactusflower Seedling

This is what I woke up to this morning!!! Very frustating....... Before I go buy more flowers for the pots!?!?! Does anyone know what the darn Javelinas DO NOT like to eat??? I must admit it has been nearly 2 years since they came in the night and ate my plants. We have plenty of other wildlive that doesn't do much harm. But part of the problem is........we live at this private airport gated community and while there is a wall, it is deliberately staggered with gaps so the wildlife can get in and out!?!? I guess we need to talk to the architect to see how we can build a gate prior to our front door somehow~~~

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. gfreiherr
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I suggest you turn things around and start eating the javelinas. I'm sorry for your damage and hope you'll get it sorted eventually.

4. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

5. cactusflower

cactusflower Seedling

Thanks Wrennie for the link.......I've already checked it out!!
    Droopy------I don't believe they are edible but I do know people hunt them........Maybe the hunters can just come to our house and not bother with the lonely desert!! Thanks for the info~~~

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

They look a bit like the European boars, so I just assumed that one could eat them. :D I bet they're tasty as bbq-meat.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh what a mess!!! :eek: We get a lot of squirrel damage here to out potted plants. They don't eat the plants but bury food in the pots and in doing so scatter the plants and earth everywhere. I hope you can find a solution to your problem soon before any more of your garden is damaged. I use chicken wire to cover my pots now and it seems to do the trick.

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

This is dooley posting on Glenda's site. CactusFlower, javalina is very tasty and can be eaten. Our neighbor smokes them and puts them on a spit and barbecue's them. It is really good. dooley