Just got back from a great visit to a garden center

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Cayuga Morning, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

My family & I went biking along one of the rail trails from Providence RI to Bristol RI. A great trip, and on the way back ona whim, we stopped in at Tranquil Lake Nursery in Rehoboth MA. What a nursery!!! We arrived 15 minutes before it was due to close. As I stepped out of the car, I was so intrigued by the vastness of the display gardens. I saw just a fraction due to the time. There were agapanthus in large pots, but not just the typical white or blue. These were a deep deep blue bordering on purple. There was a variegated bamboo patch, 3 feet high swaying in the breeze below a tree. There was a "stumpery" (?): beautiful large potted plants placed on stumps at different heights, a la Prince Charles' garden (?). There was an outdoor sculpture of bright yellow bamboo stalks placed next to deep blue tall cylinders.

I was so intrigued but clearly there was no time to just go wandering. The owner was very gracious, asking me if there was something in particular that I would like. I asked for late season blooming daylilies, so he took me to a HUGE daylily field (I think he has 8 or 10 acres of daylilies under cultivation, I kid you not). I wound up buying 2. But the man's knowledge was pretty amazing. Any daylily I mentioned, he knew about & knew its bloom time, etc.

I will definitely go back.

carolyn likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Sounded like quite a nice experience CM. It's a pity you didn't have a camera handy to capture the sprawling daylily field!

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That's one that would be worth going back to see and I also wished you had taken pictures. The owner seems, not only knowledgeable, but also a very nice man. I wish we had a nursery like that with in a hundred miles of us. It would be worth the drive!

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sounds wonderful! I came upon a place like that one day in a strange town ... they had a handpainted sign outside that just said "Hosta's Daylily's for sale"
    I went in and met the most knowledgeable and kind people, and came home with a few new plants.