just potted rose roots

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Novice, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Novice

Novice New Seed

I just planted 9 rose roots, a fun variety. Mirandy, Double delight, All-American Beauty, Tropicana, Blue Girl, Love, The Marchesa Bocella, and the Poinsettia rose. I am in zone 5 so I guess it is pretty gutsy To be growing roses. :rolleyes: I have a huge oak tree that not only provides heavy shade, but the roots are not helpful so I have decided to pot them..and because I have no idea how to treat them in the harsh winter I plan to bring them inside... any tips???

2. Loading...

3. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Rose decline in pots long term. :(

Rose can live in ground in full sun in zone 5.

4. Novice

Novice New Seed

Should I my expectations be so high??? Do I need to lower my expectations this season? I am very excited but have never potted rose roots before, so I do not know what to look for, they also have some sort of wax around them is that normal?(for their protection during transport maybe?)

5. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I used to grow roses in containers because the soil was too hard to dig in (I hate clay...). They may do ok for a few years if you take em inside for the winter. I couldnt keep doing it, and my roses finally died, so Im putting em in the ground from now on (I have a new yard to put them in now :D). Most roses do fine in z5, they just need a little protection from winter's cold, like soil/mulch/whatever mounded up around the base.

The wax is there to keep the rose from drying out until it gets home, it'll come off on its own.

6. Novice

Novice New Seed

Thank you

Thank you for the tips...making a mental note