Kangaroos in my Garden

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by FloraPie, Jan 12, 2017.

1. FloraPie

FloraPie New Seed

Kangaroos are a daily visitor to my place. They don't like herbs luckily for me. Nor cucumbers nor chili's nor beet ;)

This guy is a rear guard having watched the herd pass safely past me. Farmers here in Aus don't like them much and they are culled for their meat for both animal and human consumption. This group travel past in the morning to a river that's close by and hop home in the evening doing a complete circuit of my house. All I see them eat is grass.

I raised a baby kangaroo once many years ago. Called it Carpenter because it did little jobs all over the place. It died though because they need their mommies :(

Attached Files:

Frank, Sjoerd, eileen and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jani May

Jani May New Seed

Woah! Very cool! We dont have many kangaroos here in Oregon

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Do not have them in Texas either but we might be willing to trade wild hogs for kangaroos.

marlingardener likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well that's something totally different to what visits my garden!! I'd be taking photographs, and plenty of them, if a kangaroo dropped in here.:smt026

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

More than interesting :) Have never seen one of them here jumping through my garden. We get deer and rabbits mostly but "could" get elk, wolves, bear and cougar (if these last 4 guys come through I've never actually seen them).

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

We have herds of deer here, I guess they do the same damage. Nice to see, but NOT in your own yard :chuckle:

8. FloraPie

FloraPie New Seed

They don't cause me any problems though they can easily jump the fences they rather climb through and twang them. Too much twanging and the fence breaks. Fences breaking can equal cows, goats, horses, donkey and all, coming and going as they pleased. But apart from that, I see nothing but a very cute animal that tastes great (especially on the BBQ) who have their very own travel route via my path. Giant rodents is what they are with a cuddle factor ten out of ten. Watching the mothers with their young is heartwarming. Honorable buck fighting is a sight to see. Their coarse hissing is a let down though. I will verandah sit this evening and capture some of them on their return journey from the river just for you all :stew2:

Jani May likes this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Way COOL!! Can't wait :)

10. FloraPie

FloraPie New Seed

Evening paddock mowing kept the kangaroos from returning via their usual path last night but this morning I captured an interesting image. A mother kangaroo dropped her babies off where the grass was greenest and as the young ones were nibbling she moved away to grass that matched her colour and lay down facing away from them, towards my cottage. She looked annoyed and tired and was camouflaged quite well but her ears were listening out. The two dark younger ones can be seen looking for her but it was as if she was teaching them some independence this morning.

Attached Files:

11. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Lovely photo and so very interesting :) I think I always thought a kangaroo only ever had 1 baby at a time.

Hard to say what the Mom's intent was could quite possibly be she is starting the weaning away process and allowing them to acquire more and more independence.

The horses look lovely in the background too. Very peaceful, restful scene :) Thanks for sharing a snippet of your life :) :)

12. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

From my downstairs I'm looking out at this right now - a concrete eagle in the snow :( and I just noticed my large clay pot (on the right) has about an inch wide crack in it from the wet and freezing. Not a 'live' animal in sight around here right now. DSC_0171.JPG

13. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Love seeing the pics of kangaroos. Yea, We here in the central US don't have them. LOL
    Deer and occasionally wild Turkeys are about the only critters that will bother gardens here.

14. FloraPie

FloraPie New Seed

Kangaroos can have up to four babies at once. They are so clever they can even nurse joeys of different ages who need different compositions of milk, at the same time. And they can pause the development of any birth until environmental factors become suitable also. Glad you like the pics.

Thank you so much for the beautiful Winter wonderland image of your view Islandlife, how stunning! :smt041 And I can imagine the quietude!! I moved to where I am now because I needed to have a view 'without man-kinds input' and I sure do have it, but the NOISE is 24/7. It's like living in a wildlife sanctuary and between the birds and seven different kinds of animals around I feel like I'm camping in the middle of the wild. Kookaburras alone wake me up at 3am and 5am daily.. perhaps I should move to our snow areas so that at least for one season there may be a quieter period ;)

eileen likes this.
  15. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Here when it snows all night you really do get a good nights sleep because it becomes dead quiet here. Where I live though there is a large marsh area out behind and around February all the frogs decide to call for a mate and their thrumming, drumming, strumming, humming goes on 24/7 for about 6 weeks.

DSC_0004.JPG

If geese happen to decide to nest in the marsh they can also get real vocal particularly is anything - duck, swan, other goose comes close to their nest. They launch into honking high gear quickly but they can also de-escalate just as fast. Always something going on out in 'the swamp'! ;)

eileen, FloraPie, Jani May and 2 others like this.
  16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is a great froggy pic, Island.