Keeping The Armadillos Out of My Flower Beds

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by cherylad, May 12, 2016.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

It's been a struggle over the last couple of years with the armadillos. At first, it wasn't too bad, just a hole here and there. And then it got out of control. Every morning before work, I'd go out and replant whatever they dug up.
    I tried a variety of things to keep them away. I put out spotlights. Left a radio playing all night. Sprinkled stuff that was supposed to keep varmints away. Even tried blood-meal (which is supposed to do the same thing). Put moth balls all over (I think they liked playing kick-ball with them). None of this helped.
    I bought a live-trap. Borrowed three more. I knew this probably wouldn't work, but what the heck. Can't hurt. Only thing I trapped was a poor little birdy who was thrilled when I released him.
    A friend told me about Milky Spore Powder. Organic. Expensive. Basically, the powder would eventually kill the grubs which the armadillos were digging for. Eventually means in a year or two. Whatever. Might as well try it.
    Here's what it says about the powder, just in case you're interested:
    "Originally developed by the USDA, Milky Spore is a naturally occurring bacteria Bacillus popillae host-specific to Japanese beetles. In areas treated by Milky Spore, Japanese beetle grub eat the spores during their normal feeding patterns. Then the spores reproduce inside the grub, eventually killing grub within 7-21 days. As the grub decomposes, it releases millions of new spores and these multiply and kill other grubs."
    So, as Spring approached, I looked out at my ravaged flower beds, wondering what I could do. It would have to be reasonably priced and easy to do. So I go to the home improvement center and look at various fencing options. And decided that wouldn't be a practical idea. Not just because of the cost and work, but aesthetics as well. Maybe an electric fence? Wasn't crazy about this idea either.
    But while looking at stuff, I did run across those little sections of scalloped decorative wire/plastic coated border/fencing things.
    Hmmmm.... maybe these would work? Nah... the armadillo could easily push them over. But what if I put in stakes ever-so-often to help stabilize it? Maybe it would be just enough of a deterance that he would just wander somewhere else to look for food?
    And if that didn't work, I'd at least already have the stakes in place to run the wire for the electric fence? And maybe that combination would work?
    Well... only one way to find out. So, I bought a bunch of those border/fence sections and put around the main big bed. Put in a few stakes here and there. My brother said, "that'll never work". I said, "Guess I'll find out soon".
    A couple weeks went by. I could see where the armadillo was digging in the yard, but wasn't getting in the fenced in area. Could this really be working? But then, there was digging in the bed. But I couldn't figure out how he got in. There was no sign of the fencing being stepped on or pushed over. So I beefed up a few areas where I thought he might be getting in and made sure there were no gaps. Then he was digging in a couple of the other separate flower beds. So I bought more of the fencing/border sections for those.
    That was in February. And still no sign of armadillo digging in my flower beds! wooohooo!!!
    And just to be on the safe side, I'm also putting up the sections around newly planted items... kind of a double barrier.
    So, here's how it looks.
    armadillo-fence.jpg

Now I can put some serious effort into getting that whole area cleaned up and, of course, add some more flowers! Good thing I stocked up on the those border thingys!

Droopy likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Who would have thought that a simple little decorative fence (beefed up with stakes of course) would do that job. Glad you can enjoy gardening, for yourself this time, again.

4. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

As if our badgers were not bad enough! Are armadillos a protected species?

5. toni

No, they are not protected. Most of their predators have been killed off so they are increasing in numbers at least in Texas. The only enemy they have to worry about are vehicles on the highways. Most of the time you only see them dead on the roadside....... and in Cheryl's garden.
    They were used as food by the early settlers and in some parts of the far southwest, supposedly they taste like pork.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

And since there's no traffic running through my yard, the only predator would be a human with a gun. I actually put a bounty on their heads if someone would come out and sit up all night and do the deed. I had no takers. :(
    And besides, there would just be more showing up. So, they can go waddle somewhere else!

2ofus likes this.
  7. toni

Oh, during the depression they were called Hoover Hogs since most people blamed President Hoover for the depression and Armadillos tasted like pork and people took up eating them since they didn't have money for groceries.
    How about a slight variation on the U-Pick-It Farm. An Armadillo U-catch-it farm. With each one caught you hand out recipes for Hoover Hog....on the spit, BBQed, baked, broiled, etc.

2ofus likes this.
  8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm glad you were able to stop them from destroying your gardens. I've seen the damage they can do and it isn't pretty. 'Course I like Chery's idea also! :headbang:;)

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I find armadillos fascinating, but I don't have to try and keep them out of my garden! Good job with fencing them out. May they never discover how to get back in. My only worry is roe deer and the cats.